Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Spec Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to re-read this posting since it's been out there for awhile, and it seems we've pretty much slammed SPEC clutches. If they were crap, they wouldn't be in use as much as they are. My KEP works perfectly, but who's to say a SPEC shouldn't work as well?
As to Mondragon's shuddering clutch syndrome, it could be nothing but improper adjustment, and/or worn out transmission or engine mounts allowing everything to "tweak" when applying power. That in itself will cause all sorts of havoc on clutch cable adjustments and can definitely cause uneven release. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:46 AM
Mondragon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,

I have put 250 miles on the clutch and it is getting better, it stll shudders but only abot 1/4 of what it did on the first day. My engine mounts and transmission mounts are all new. The gear box has just been rebuilt so its definitely the clutch. the old sachs organic clutch was more streetable. i will give it anothe 300 miles and probably a bit more before i make my mind up about replacing it or not.

Question for you guys running with a KEP. Does the clutch engage like Stock? are you running a steel fly wheel or an alloy fly wheel?

Mondragon
Old 08-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know for certain that your clutch cable and boden tube are adjusted correctly?
Here's a tech article from a VW site that talks about Boden tube adjustment and how it can be the cause of clutch chatter. Might be a long shot, but still a good read.
http://www.thebugshop.org/gotech.htm (scroll down to the drivetrain section)

With my KEP pressure plate, I'm using a Sachs disc and stock steel flywheel resurfaced. Grabbed a bit quickly when brand new, but quickly settled in to a normal feel. This is a KEP stage 1.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:43 PM
por212
2nd Gear

I installed a Spec Stage 2+ clutch kit with a lightweight flywheel a while back in my car and the package works great. Never experienced any problems. I've been reading all the negative comments but I've never had any of the issues mentioned.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:37 AM
skipp
Instructor

My 89 came with a spec clutch in it. Not sure what stage. It's definitely sports oriented, but not as bad as described here. Not sure the mileage on it either. It's like an on off switch and will shudder if you don't give it enough gas as you let it out, but at least it will handle the horsepower.

Quick Reply: Spec Clutch