911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Timing Chain Offset Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 09:18 AM
Handy930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing Chain Offset Need Help

Just to the point of installing the timing chains and checking the alignment. I cannot find in the factory manuals the specification for the offset of the left timing chain. The only thing I have found is Wayne Demsey's reference to 54.8mm offset but not sure this applies to a 79, 930. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone have an inventive way to hold a straight edge short of buying the factory tool?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:41 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

Your distance between the straight-edge and the intermediate shaft gear facing PLUS 54.8mm should be within .25mm of the distance you measure from the straight-edge (placed against the case opening at the intermediate shaft) and the left cam chain gear. The best tools I have found are from Stephen Stomski at Stomski Racing in Annapolis, Maryland. Stephen is a GREAT GUY and sells some really nifty tools to facilitate this measurement. Stomski SR008. As for getting a solid, SQUARE placement of your dial caliper against the straight-edge, you need to acquire a Starrett PT22431, Depth Attachment for Starrett Electronic and Dial Calipers. This attachment allows you to securely mount your caliper into the depth attachment and get a nice, square placement against the straight-edge.

I just did this two weeks ago with my 79 930. You really need to get this measurement right so you can avoid abnormal wear on your chains, cam gears and ramps. Also, as an aside, Stephen has a brand new tool (the SR098) that he just completed for mounting the dial indicator while performing the cam timing. It's a two-point mount for your dial indicator. No muss, no fuss. Mount the tool and insert your dial indicator and you will ALWAYS be dead-on with your placement of the dial indicator tip on the valve retainer. MAJOR IMPROVEMENT over the Z-Block!!!!!

I have every one of Stephen's tools for the early cars. Expensive, but worth EVERY PENNY! I urge you to call Stephen and buy these tools.

No affiliation with Stomski Racing...... Just a VERY SATISFIED customer.

Good luck!

Toby
Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 AM
Handy930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. I am aware of Stomski tools. I will look into them.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Offset Need Help