911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Engine removed for oil leaks - issues found

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 06:09 AM
Timspu
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine removed for oil leaks - issues found

I have had my engine removed due to oil leaks and for replacement of the spark plugs. After the engine was removed the mechanic advised that two head bolts have failed and this is causing a leak from the barrels. For these to be replaced the engine has to be stripped. As the heads and barrells will be removed is there anything else that should be done whilst its apart?
The car has 83,000 miles on the clock 1988.
An expense i was not expecting, and by the sounds of it , it will be large as they have also found the clutch cover cracked and the clutch plate is over half worn.
Any recommendations ?

Thanks

TIM
Old 01-12-2012, 06:31 AM
rbonome
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Measure the tolerences of Main and rod bearing, piston pin bushing, camshafts, and rocker arms, pistons, jugs, valve guides

Replace: timing chains, head studs, exhaust studs, timing chain guides,

Test: fuel injectors

Good time to have SC grind on your cams.

I recently refreshed my engine and love the results of the SC grind.

I know I'm forgetting some but, it's 0430.

Best of luck!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 AM
rbonome
Rennlist Member

Replace piston rings
Old 01-13-2012, 04:08 PM
Timspu
Instructor

So here is the low down. When the cam cover was removed from the left hand side, the middle cylinder head bolt was missing. Looks like on a previous service before i bought the car the bolt was found broken and removed from the cam cover. Not impressed as this could have been like it for the past 5 years as the previous only only did 6,000 miles during his ownership. So far quote is 4,000 pounds including parts and labour. This includes a new clutch assy.
One unexpected bill that is not planned for. Looks like the bill could be endless if you want to go in and completely overhaul the engine, so i am going to have to cut it off at the essentials. Luckily enough the underside and shell of the car is in very good condition with no damage.
I am hoping there is no damage to the heads valves, guides etc.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 PM
rbonome
Rennlist Member

I took my engine down in Sept to address some oil leaks and wound up refreshing the engine and trans. I took advantage having the engine out and replaced the parts I mentioned above plus some additional.

I also upgrade my intercooler with a Fabspeed and RarlyL8 exhaust. Had my cams machined to SC grind by Dougherty racing cams.

Make sure your mechanic will use O rings on the rocker arm shaft grooves, otherwise you might develop an oil leak from the camshaft housing.

I did all my own work so I saved on the labor. I had some other issues and Mark Houghton helped out through the forum after I made a couple of posts. I also has to change my CDI and installed MSD 6A1 I also installed an AFR gauge (NGK Powerdex AFX - Air Fuel Ratio Monitor Kit - Wideband O2 - PN 91101 - w/ NTK Sensor)

I mentioned some of the work I did because, doing the work now might save the work down the road.

How many miles on your car?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:38 AM
Timspu
Instructor

It has 83,000 miles with full history, so once again history does not mean much when head bolts are removed and left out.
I could have done it myself but it would take me months of weekend work only and take me away from my young family, so have to bite the bullet and have it done, otherwise the car will remain in my garage forever without an engine.
So as there is 2,000 pounds in labour i have to keep the budget down. I want to keep the car original as it has not been modified in any way. My only other issue after this 4k bill is i need new heat exchangers as they are holed, just another expense to come at a later date.
The engine will be fully stripped on monday, so far it will have all new gaskets, 24 new head bolts, new clutch assy. Injectors flowed with a full engine service and re-install. i just hope all the valves, guides and rings are okay.
Prior to the car going in to fix the oil leaks, the engine ran perfect with dynoed 301bhp , so when i get it back it probably won't feel any different, just have the confidence that i won't need any engine work again. Fingers crossed the internals are okay.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Timspu
Instructor

Latest update.
All the exhaust valve guides are worn and will require replacing. It appears this is the final issue found with the engine.
The injectors have been sent for a clean and check, hopefully they will all pass.
Should hopefully have the car back at the end of January. All i need now is a set of standard heat exchangers as my current ones are holed on the heater side and a bit too far gone for a weld repair.
Attached Images   
Old 02-06-2012, 07:05 AM
Timspu
Instructor

Smile

Got the car back on Friday. Wow what a difference. At 6k rpm i don't have what i thought was the waste gate banging. Obviously this must have been air leaking from the cylinder head due to the broken head bolt. the engine is so smooth. it now starts on the first click of the key. i did have one fuel injector dripping which has now been replaced. I was very hesitant about having to spend this amount of money but am now so glad as the engine sounds and looks wonderful. All in all the engine had a full top end rebuild with the latest head bolts and a new clutch assy. Still totally standard apart from running 0.9 bar boost.
Next step is to adjust my leask WUR.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll forget about the expense, but you'll have the satisfaction of having done a good job on the repairs for a long time..

Quick Reply: Engine removed for oil leaks - issues found