911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Engine cuts out

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:49 AM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine cuts out

I hope somebody here can point me in a direction for a problem I am having.
About two years ago I had an issue with my 88' Turbo, after a long drive back from NJMP my car died about 1 1/2 mi. from my house and would not start. I had it towed to my house and there it sat in my garage until the week before this Thanksgiving when I installed a used Perma-Tune CD box and it fired up and ran well. I drove it only for a couple of short drives and had no issues, then I was on my way out with it one day the week before Christmas and about 5 min. into the drive and the car just cut right out and would not restart. I pushed it over to the curb and let it sit there while I called for a tow.
After waiting for over an hour I decided to try to re-start it so I turned the key and after holding the key in the start position with the engine cranking I almost got it to start. I waited about a minute tried it again and it started but would not stay running. Waited another minute and the same result, It started but immediately shut off. On the third such try it started and kept running. I put it in gear and got about a block and a half away when it cut out again. I pushed it to the side of the road and turned the key and it started up and kept running. This time I made it home which was only about a mile away and put it in the garage.
The next day I pushed it out of the garage and started it, and let it idle for about 10 min. with no problems. A couple of days later I took my chances and took it out for a ride for about 20 min. with no issues. Christmas day went to my in-laws for dinner which was about a 20 min. drive and back again with no issues.
This morning I had to run some errands so I took it out and about 5 min. into the drive it shut off and would not restart. After sitting for about 15 min. in a 7-11 parking lot I attempted to start it with no luck. I kept trying and after numerous start-ups followed by immediate cut-outs and very rough running attempts it started as if nothing ever happened. I put it in gear and started for home, I was not very far from home ( less than a mile ) when it originally cut-out. I was about a block and a half from home when it cut out again, I pulled over turned the key and it fired right up and I got back home and in the garage. What has me puzzled is both times this happened the car had only been running for 5 min. and no more when it cut out. When I finally get it to start and keep running it does so as if nothing ever happened. It's important to note that it takes numerous attempts after it cuts out before it gets back to normal running. Sorry for this long post but I hope someone can point me in some direction. Btw, when I put the Perma-Tune in after the 2yr. in-active period, before I attempted to start it I had drained the old gas out and put in fresh gas. I had also put in a new Bosch coil. Thanks for reading.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:40 AM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Could be something as loose fuel pump wire but read this link..it is a great help http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-9...snt-start.html
Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speednme
Could be something as loose fuel pump wire but read this link..it is a great help http://forums.pelicanparts.com/911-9...snt-start.html
It's time well spent to read all 66 posts on that link. There are lots of things that can cause what you're seeing. Unfortunately diagnosing isn't all that easy. Best to have the knowledge of where to look, so that the next time she dies you'll be prepared to check-this and check-that for some clues and hopefully land on the gremlin.

Most of us have gone through phantom no-start/dying issues, which is why the "sticky" offered on Pelican made good sense as a place to house all the wisdom. For me, my ultimate ah-ha was the overspeed relay under the drivers seat. You'll see my posts on the topic.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like a fuel supply issue, one or both if your fuel pumps may be shot. jm .02
Old 12-28-2011, 10:27 PM
blackboy
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the responses. Would the fuel pumps be intermittent? Same for the overspeed relay.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:26 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, they could be intermittant.

Quick Reply: Engine cuts out