cag4
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Who did the corner balance?
Old 12-11-2011, 10:13 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Living in small town USA, there isn't a soul within 100 miles that knows a thing about Porsches (other than myself, which only scratches the surface) and the folks in local tire shops just say "huh...what?" when I mention corner balancing.

I've thought of doing it myself, by purchasing 4 bathroom scales...one for each corner of the car. But, most home bathroom scales top-out at around 300 lbs I believe. Too bad, 'cause certainly the corners of our 930's weigh substantially more than that. Maybe I can find some scales made for the 800 lb dudes that make it on TV's various shock drama shows.

Of course, with the right springs a person could probably modify the load cells of a scale to transferr the bulk of the load to the floor, and actually measure only a portion of the true load....which would be ok provided each scale is calibrated the same. Sounds like an engineering challenge. Too bad I'm not an engineer.

Sorry, off topic again ! !
Old 12-12-2011, 03:51 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
Living in small town USA, there isn't a soul within 100 miles that knows a thing about Porsches (other than myself, which only scratches the surface) and the folks in local tire shops just say "huh...what?" when I mention corner balancing.

I've thought of doing it myself, by purchasing 4 bathroom scales...one for each corner of the car. But, most home bathroom scales top-out at around 300 lbs I believe. Too bad, 'cause certainly the corners of our 930's weigh substantially more than that. Maybe I can find some scales made for the 800 lb dudes that make it on TV's various shock drama shows.

Of course, with the right springs a person could probably modify the load cells of a scale to transferr the bulk of the load to the floor, and actually measure only a portion of the true load....which would be ok provided each scale is calibrated the same. Sounds like an engineering challenge. Too bad I'm not an engineer.

Sorry, off topic again ! !
Is there a local SCCA chapter near you? If so, they probably have some corner scales.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM
Gus B.
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Try and find one of these used or a shop that will rent them to you: http://www.longacreracing.com/catalo...d=1261&catid=1
Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

There has to be a DIY method, since I DIY everything and simply abhore taking my car to anyone. Perhaps I need to lurk around that global auction site that we're not supposed to mention...buy a set of scales, use them once, then flip 'em.
I've never had mine checked, but wouldn't it be a pisser to find out it's already corner balanced? Who knows what the PO did (well, I know that the PO I bought it from did nothing other than wax the car and have orgasms when touching the rear fender wells. The dude didn't have an automotive clue in his bones).
Old 12-15-2011, 02:56 PM
chiplynch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY Scales

Hey guys, You've might have seen these scales before. I got these on E-Bay and have used them several times. The arm increases the leverage and allows each scale to read four times the amount of weight, or let's say decreases the weight by 4 times. I am about to use them on my 930 as redoing her suspension.

Phillip
Attached Images   
Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Ahhh....now my wheels are turning! Essentially doing what I envisioned with springs diverting most of the load to the floor, but this is so elegantly simple. Get out the welder, build four leverage platforms, buy 4 cheapo bathroom scales at Walmart, and rock. If you wouldn't mind, throw a tape measure on those arms for some dimensions.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Rennsport930
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very clean!!

Quick Reply: Corner balanced and ready to fly