911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

87 Ruf Tribute

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Turbo1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Ruf Tribute

I am new to the forum and trying to find my way around. I posted in the 911 forum and was told I should consider posting here in Turbo.

Just got my '87 Ruf Tribute....what a fun car this is. It is a 3.2 turbo and after looking for an RS America for a long time...I found this and I could not be happier...well if the AC worked better, I might be. It is R-134 and has a Performance Aire underbody condenser...just gotta find a way to get some air through the condenser instead of just air flowing over it. Oh well, I will get it figured out, but if anyone has suggestions...please...all ears here.
Attached Images           

Last edited by Turbo1987; 08-24-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Daley88930
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

niiiice.. the intercooler too...absolute achievement to squeeze in the ac with a full bay like that one.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
triplenet
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking ride....
Old 08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful! I love the year and the color...and the Ruf upgrades.

I can give you absolutely zero input on the AC question, other than to remove the weight entirely. So what...it's been a little warm in Texas lately. Just keep the windows open :-)

Enjoy the car, drive it like you stole it, and the last thing on your mind will be how cold the air is blowing out the vents.

And yes, you're on the correct forum for 930's. This, and Pelican forums, can't be beat as world class information centers.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:13 AM
964speed
Pro

Turbo87 - I know this car you recenly purchased this from Exoctic classics Long Island NY ??
Old 08-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Turbo1987
Intermediate

Yes Sir, I bought it from Exotic Classics. So far, I am enjoying the car...will enjoy it more when I get the AC working a little better. Other than the AC, I love it.

Do you know anything I should know ?????
Old 08-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post pics of the turbo setup, you say its a TT but I only see one inlet into the IC from the coldside of the turbo. Looks nice! Enjoy in good health my friend!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:13 PM
Turbo1987
Intermediate

Guns951....can't believe I did that. I also have a 996 TT and obviously had my head somewhere other than on my shoulders.

The car has one turbo, not two. I have edited the above post.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

The 134 did not work well in my 89. Went back to R12. You need a license to buy it for less than ebay prices, but that is not too difficult to obtain. You will need a set of gauges to make sure the system is working properly. I found many issues to fix but parts were not expensive. To convert back you basically have to clean the system, install a new drier, and vacuum the system. I am good to 90 degrees and it is a black car. At over that you are sweating.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:33 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

Wow...awesome car..I might have to look you up next time I am in Brownsville or Corpus.
Yasin
Old 08-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Turbo1987
Intermediate

RobT394 - thanks for the input on R-12. Been thinking about switching over. I think I can get the R-12. The biggest problem I have is high head pressure because the condenser is not doing its job. It is a side to side undercar condenser and there is no air flow through the condenser...only across the bottom. Gotta get a space between the body pan and the condenser for some air flow. Thanks for the R-12 info.

Slownrusty - let me know when you come this way...would enjoy meeting you. I am retired, so I can pretty much do what I want to do when I want to do it.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:59 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo1987
RobT394 - thanks for the input on R-12. Been thinking about switching over. I think I can get the R-12. The biggest problem I have is high head pressure because the condenser is not doing its job. It is a side to side undercar condenser and there is no air flow through the condenser...only across the bottom. Gotta get a space between the body pan and the condenser for some air flow. Thanks for the R-12 info.

Slownrusty - let me know when you come this way...would enjoy meeting you. I am retired, so I can pretty much do what I want to do when I want to do it.
Thanks! I will let you know when I am heading your way and look forward to meeting you and checking out your car. If you are ever in Houston, let me know.
Yasin
Old 08-27-2011, 01:15 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Forgot to mention the last time. Great car! Love the look and the color. Looks like she is begging for a track day and rubber marks.

My condenser has a fan in the front that pull air from front bumper and forces it on the condenser. You obviously have a different set up as mine is all stock. The fan was not working due to an electrical glitch. Once I fixed the fan the cooling was better and pressures came way down. As others have said, this only takes you so far. They are not known for their cooling power.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Turbo1987
Intermediate

Thanks for the information. My car has the underbody and a front condenser. The front condenser has a puller fan, sorta small...not a lot of air flow. The underbody has no fan and is mounted up next to the body pan. I think it would work so much better if I could direct air between the body pan and the condenser. I am going to try to drop the leading edge .75" or even 1" which would allow some flow to be squeezed through the condenser...it would have to result in more heat transfer vs just having air flow across the bottom of the condenser. It would result in slightly less ground clearance, but I don't plan on running over curbs and I always dodge road kill.

I am going to do that first and see what happens. Next would be to change out the evaporator with a Griffith unit. I believe their marketing message of better efficiency and then use their more powerful fan motor on the evaporator for more cabin air flow.

The last area to address would be to improve the front condenser with more airflow. Have not found anything being offered to do that. Still looking.

Of course the issue of less efficiency while in stop and go traffic appears to not have a solution with the underbody condenser unless I can find a way to force feed air with something like puller duct fans in the rear wheelwell and a shroud over the underbody. Still studying that. That might solve the issue of idling in stop and go traffic and still have cold air.

Oh well, just another reason to own a fun car...there are always challenges.

Quick Reply: 87 Ruf Tribute