oil in spark plugs. 930

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Chris Fanning
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil in spark plugs. 930

hey guys,

I had a failed turbo about 2 weeks ago on my 1986 930 and just finished putting a new one in. im about $4500 in the hole right now and would hate to find another bad problem.

I was changing all my spark plugs and they all were thrashed with oil. after putting in new ones 2 of them seem to be getting filled up with oil once again. Im going to run a compression check on the engine later today and see what i get but was looking for any suggestions on what to do next.

pass or fail i feel like this is once again going to be expensive but maybe its something little that im missing. any further knowledge would be great.

thanks
Old 07-16-2011, 11:21 AM
jwasbury
Instructor

Compression and leakdown test is a good idea to see where you are at.

Does the car idle and run? If so, fire it up and while its idling pull off the oil filler cap. The crankcase breather system is plumbed to the oil tank filler neck. If you see a rhythmic, exhaust like puffing of smoke/steam from the oil filler neck its a sure sign that you have broken rings and a melted piston or two...
Old 07-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the turbo seal fails it can load up the intake system with oil, hopefully that is your problem. I would tend to clean the plugs then take it for a good long run, it should clean it out. If it continues, then you have a different issue.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:34 PM
Chris Fanning
Advanced

i can tell you forsure that the whole thing was filled up with oil.. im really hoping the pistons arnt melted.. that wouldnt be good.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Chris Fanning
Advanced

also a liittle smoke comes out of the oil filter neck but its nothing rythmic its just a very little bit and its a small constant light light light light light light smoke
Old 07-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Chris Fanning
Advanced

ok guys,

did the compression check and everything checks out good at 120.

all i know right now is i have 2 dead cylinders but i think it might be the plug wires.. ill be checking in on that next..

Please keep the rennlist knowledge flowing.. imma try to get a couple pics up aswell to feed you guys.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 AM
jwasbury
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris Fanning
also a liittle smoke comes out of the oil filter neck but its nothing rythmic its just a very little bit and its a small constant light light light light light light smoke
This is normal. When it puff puff puffs, then you have a problem.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Chris Fanning
Advanced

ok guys it wasnt the plug wires so now im just kinda stuck on whats going on.. 2 dead cylinders and im getting spark still... could they be clogged injectors by chance? ill be checking that next. any other ideas please let me know
Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How have you diagnosed the two dead cylinders - are they the ones still loading up with oil? How have you confirmed spark? I know this sounds stupid, but you are sure the plug wires are on in the right order? I ask that because I had a couple of genius friends who experienced all sorts of trouble with an engine; firing order turned out to be wrong at the dist cap.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:46 AM
Chris Fanning
Advanced

I found out the problem.. the two cylinders were just getting flooded with fuel because all the censors for the fuel managment port were without power.. these old mechanical fuel injection systems are **** and refuse to work on built engines.. im going to get it to work the best i can and then down the line im going to have to invest in electric fuel injection. lucky me
Old 07-19-2011, 11:49 AM
jwasbury
Instructor

Sensors?? If you're on original Bosch CIS injection you haven't got any. You may want to rethink that diagnosis. If only two cylinders are acting up, I'd be looking at the injectors or the fuel head.

BTW...plenty of folks running around with built engines using CIS, myself included.

Best,

Jacob

Originally Posted by Chris Fanning
I found out the problem.. the two cylinders were just getting flooded with fuel because all the censors for the fuel managment port were without power.. these old mechanical fuel injection systems are **** and refuse to work on built engines.. im going to get it to work the best i can and then down the line im going to have to invest in electric fuel injection. lucky me
Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 AM
Chris Fanning
Advanced

when i said "sensors" i was at a loss of words and tired as hell.. but it was the injectors they were sticking and staying wide open causing the cylinders to flood. im picking up new ones today and i should be good.
how are you able to keep up with the power curve with the old injection system?? do you have cams in your car? and do you have to re adjust it and play with it every few months?? plus you dont think id be able to produce more power and save a little gas with EFI??

Quick Reply: oil in spark plugs. 930