911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Got one for 'ya!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got one for 'ya!

On my 85 930 the fuel gauge has been acting sticky, obviously a sender problem. So, I go to pull the old one after getting my new one from the guys at PP and as only can happen to me, the thing has disintegrated, and as I pop it up to remove it the tube that encases the unit sinks to the bottom of the tank and is now lying there up in the front of the tank. I tried fishing it out with coat hangars and whatever but no joy. So, does anyone see an issue with just leaving it in there until i get to the point I have to pull the tank for some reason? As long as it doesn't screw up the sump and pickups I really can't see it hurting anything other than taking up a few tablespoons of gas space volume, but thought I'd ask some others their opinions to see how deep I dive on what should be a 15-minute job tops.

On the bright side, the tank looks brand new inside with nary a bit of corrosion or junk in it.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by srf506

On the bright side, the tank looks brand new inside with nary a bit of corrosion or junk in it.
Wellll.....it's got junk in it now!

Personally, I wouldn't bother to worry about it unless that "tube" is of a brittle nature and continues to decompose over time. Probably not worth the effort to get it outa there.
I don't imagine you can see it lying in there? I have this cheap little spring-loaded claw thingy (looks like a choke cable with retracting claws on the end) that I've used numerous times to fish stuff out of tight places.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:38 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the problem, it can't be seen through the sender openining. The tube hasn't decomposed any as it appears to be Al or similar alloy. There's a threaded rod that a little nut should be attached to to hold it all together. The nut is MIA too. I think it should be ok. We used to throw polyethelene ***** in the fuel cells of the race to adjust the volume to match Grand Am rules versus ALMS and they never seemed to bother anything.

Quick Reply: Got one for 'ya!