911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

crazy smoke on boost

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 12:27 AM
tim911pcar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crazy smoke on boost

Did it once in a while, but now way to often. White smoke like a spy hunter movie. I hope it is the turbo, any sure way to pinpoint?? It is a kokeln turbo. does anyone rebuld them at a fair price?? Thanks in advance
Attached Images  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:21 AM
tim911pcar
Instructor

looked at the threads about this still no luck. Intake side dry pressure side dry. turbo shaft has no play.... oil coming from somewhere. Put it all back together no smoke!! errr.. the rubber going to the turbo on the intake side was wet with oil a liltle bit, but no sign in the pipe or the turbo. back to the basics..
Old 04-06-2011, 01:41 AM
tim911pcar
Instructor

Name:  BUG.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  31.5 KBah!!! a simple car no smoke

Last edited by tim911pcar; 04-06-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:32 AM
tim911pcar
Instructor

Attached Images  

Last edited by tim911pcar; 04-06-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if you don't have a scavenger pump issue, not taking the oil away from the drip pan fast enough, basically flooding your turbo with too much oil and blowing past the seals? There is a ball check valve somewhere in line (I think on the feed to the turbo) that limits how much oil gets to the turbo. Maybe that dude is stuck open since your problem seems intermittent? I don't have enough personal experience in that arena, so just thinking aloud with info from other peoples experiences. Weird.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 PM
tim911pcar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
I wonder if you don't have a scavenger pump issue, not taking the oil away from the drip pan fast enough, basically flooding your turbo with too much oil and blowing past the seals? There is a ball check valve somewhere in line (I think on the feed to the turbo) that limits how much oil gets to the turbo. Maybe that dude is stuck open since your problem seems intermittent? I don't have enough personal experience in that arena, so just thinking aloud with info from other peoples experiences. Weird.
thanks for your thoughts I also have another concern. I have powerhouse headers, the oil cumilator has two lines instead of one. I have delt with one line in the past not two. b and b has just one.. My guess some kind of breather but under hard boost oil comes out. I capped it since b and b kits only had the one line.. anyone has some experience with the powerhouse kit. Where does the line go to???
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"under hard boost oil comes out."

That sounds like a clue of some sort. If it's overflowing the drip tank, then maybe too much oil getting to the turbo? Other than scavange pump or check valve issues, how about crankcase ventilation not venting? Long shot maybe...someone out here knows the answer. Come on guys, chime in.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:59 AM
WERK-I
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the factory turbo sump tanks a line ran from the tank to the backside of the air cleaner. The sump tank in the picture looks smaller than the B&B style and I suspect the oil may be backing up into the turbocharger. Venting the tank again may help, but enlarging the tank may be a better option.

Worse case, your engine may have excessive blow-by past the piston/rings, creating a smoking situation.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:05 AM
tim911pcar
Instructor

I know that scares the **** out of me.. If the rings were shot would it do it all the time?? The smoke comes and goes.. I am going to mess with the line I capped. You think some one will sell the bigger tank without bying the install kit??? Ill look into that.. thanks werk I

Quick Reply: crazy smoke on boost