Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:55 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Great Post

Originally Posted by jwasbury
There are two varieties of 930 owners: those who have gone through an engine rebuild, and those who have not...yet.

Unsurprisingly, the owners who have shouldered the cost of an engine rebuild will tell you that 930s are expensive to maintain and those who have not will say a 930 is not really more costly to maintain than its naturally aspirated 911 sibling.

Yes I'm being a bit cheeky in my comments above, but IMHO the simple fact is that the 930 engine will generally speaking not run for as long as a 911 before it needs expensive attention. If you never get into boost, then I would take that statement back, but otherwise I stand by it resolutely. If you truly never get into boost, I would question why you want a 930 in the first place.

A PPI with compression and leakdown test is naturally your best insurance, but by no means a guarantee that you will not have expensive issues during your stewardship of the car.

Once you've acquired a well cared for example, I would argue that a bit more diligence is required with a 930 vs. a 911 to be sure it doesn't grenade on you. Ignition timing is critical, good AFRs are critical, a properly functioning wastegate is critical.
This is very very true. And maybe of all Porsche cars . When the engine rebuild comes the going gets tough.

Quick Reply: 930 ownership experience, please share!