911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

meth injecton installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default meth injecton installed

After doing alot of research and talking to the guys at snow perfromance, I decided to install a meth kit on my car. I went with the stage 2 kit and the optional safegaurd solinoid. The install took about 4 hrs and was pretty straight forward and very easy to tune.
The first thing I want to say is that I did not do this for the extra performance, even though that is nice. I did it for some protection against detonation.
Here is alittle info on my motor. It is a 3.5, 8:1 comp, started life as a 3.0. Dont ask me how the builder got it to a 3.5 I personally am not sure. The initial build was done by Henry at supertec performance. I had to have it rebuilt about 1 year after 1st build. My fault to much boost and to little fuel. So I had my fuel head redone by Imagine auto a couple of years back. I also had all my injectors flow tested and replaced 2 that were bad. Flow testing your injectors I think is one of the most important things to do with a rebuild so you know you are getting equal fuel flow to all cylinders. OK, now the rest of the build. sc cams , K27HF, B and B exhaust , ghl muffler ( I really want rarly8s exhaust but that will have to wait), Brians adjustable WUR and add on soliniod,garretson intercooler, centerforce clutch and shorter gears. I know I missed something but you get the idea.
The one thing I regret is I did not do twin plug. Next rebuild ( hopefully not for many years) I will twin plug it.
I like alot of us were having issues at full boost with fuel. No matter what I did, in the upper rpms 5500 and above I would run alittle leaner than I like.
12.5-12.8 at .9bar boost. So most of the time I would short shift.
Now back to the meth injection kit. So I finish the install and put 50/50 mix of methanol and distilled water. I went with the upgrade 2.5 gallon tank.
I set the system work of boost instead of map. Witch I can do because I have a electromotive crank fire ignition but the boost activation seemed to be easy.
I set the system to activate at 6lbs of boost and maximum flow at 12lbs of boost.
I take it for a ride and the first thing I notice is my A/F have dropped and 1/2 a point. I am ear to ear smiles just because of that. So now at 6200 rpms I am at 11.7 A/F. Innovative wide band in car. The motor also pulls harder and is smoother up top. To sum it up it is one of the best things I have done to the car. The kit cost about 500.00 and I find that a cheap price for the extra performance and protection.
Some of you are saying well what about if the system fails. For all you guys who want to tune the car for it, they make all kinds of safety devises you can add to the system to make it pretty bullet prof. I am happy with 400hp at the wheels so I did not do any tuning changes and I have been driving the car for 3yrs with the new motor with no problems. So if my system fails I have the exact same tune as I did before the kit. The car fells like it has 450 at the wheels now. I will find that out when I re dyno the car.
The other great thing about the kit is that you use no extra fuel untill you go over 6lbs . So on regular driving you will use close to no meth. I figure the 2.5 gallon tank should last me 1-2 months before I have to refill it.
The basic kit comes with a green LED you mount so you can see when the system activates. You can also get a opional low tank level light so you no when you are running low. There is also a gauge you can get to see flow rate.
I did not do all that because I wanted a pretty basic system. As time goes on I might add some of the other add ons but for now I will see how it works with the basics.
To sum it up. More power, Lower A/F, to me a win win product. Well that should do it. Any questions let them fly, I will be glad to answer any. Sorry for the grammer not my strong point
John
Old 03-03-2011, 07:12 AM
chiplynch
Intermediate

Hey great news for us all. Do you have nay pics you can post, we'd all like to see your install.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

I will take some pics today and post later.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty cool John. It's great to hear testimony for success stories like this. We've yet another 930 officionado who has just completed a similar install (but I don't think he's run it yet as other stuff is being completed). I'm sure you're aware....see cole930 over on Pelican for his install and pictures and a pretty substantial thread on the topic.

Personally I feel this makes good sense, given how many of us like to live on the edge of performance where fueling is so critical, and given the huge chunck of change it takes to rebuild a motor. Talk about cheap insurance.....
Old 03-05-2011, 08:23 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Mark, I am on pelican all the time and got the idea from cole930's post. My install is similiar to cole930's. I will post pics once I find my camera. I have been busy at work and have not had the time to look for it. I should have posted my results on pelican, I am sure I will go on and let everyone know what I think so far.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:01 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

here are pics of install....
Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

well that didnt work let me try again.. for some reason they didnt load in. They are on pelican board last page, post on meth injection by cole930
Old 03-07-2011, 11:48 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBrown
well that didnt work let me try again.. for some reason they didnt load in. They are on pelican board last page, post on meth injection by cole930
Oh yeah John, looking good. Hats off to you!
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/5887819-post243.html
Old 03-08-2011, 09:38 AM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark...
Old 03-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Cheyne
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No corrosion with nikasil and meth? Friends with Wrc cars have told me stories and have since removed.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 AM
ace996
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I ran meth on my supercharged Z06 and STI...fantastic way to improve a turbo's performance. But not just power, it lowers IATs so much that "heatsoak" will leave your vocabulary forever. It also does a phenomenal job at keeping your combustion chambers CLEAN, so coking and the resultant hotspots and detonation is eliminated.

I've heard many speak of the rumors of corrosion and problems, but I've yet to ever SEE problems. My shops have torn down motors that ran tankers of meth/water and they were spotless...I really believe that the corrosion is a myth. The mixture, which is vaporized by the time it enters the combustion chamber, spends such a short time in there before being fired should never effect the linings.

Again, I've never SEEN evidence of it. And the only problems I've ever heard of with meth/water is by either (1) using it too much and not tuning properly for it, and (2) people not using failsafes when it's needed.

I had the Snow kit on my STI, best mod I did to the car. I'd be hard pressed to not use meth/water on any boosted engine in the future.

Good luck and good to hear it worked for you. About time this "voodoo technology" made it's way to the P-car world. Lots of bad info out there and too many tuners not familiar with it's use. Use it correctly and it's nothing but a great addition to boosted engines.

Be good,
TomK

Quick Reply: meth injecton installed