Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

1987 911 Turbo cut off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Black 930 Turbo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks I will check the bracket tomorrow after I get off work.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:15 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The stock bracket has round holes, I had to slot mine to bring the IC down 1/8-1/4".
Patrick Motorsports recomends this trick.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 930 Turbo
My question does anyone have any info that could help me adjust the rear spoiler lid so it will open just by me pulling the engine compartment release cable?
If you're just talking about adjusting the latching mechanism, it's pretty easy. Your description sounds like either your IC is interfering with the lid closing and resulting in putting tension on the latch mechanism (thus making it hard to release) or the mechanism needs to be adjust a bit looser.

The post that attaches to the lid can easily be lengthened or shortened by loosening the lock nut and turning the post. If you have it adjusted correctly the spring tension will be sufficient to pop the lid up when the latch releases. If adjusted too loose, the lid won't close all the way and line up correctly along the rear reflector and it won't pop up as nicely as it should. If adjusted too tight, you're in for a world of hurt 'cause it won't unlatch at all and you're screwed (been there, done that). Start loose and make small adjustments.

Finally, if the post is bent at all (quite likely on older cars) it may load tension to one side or the other and make for a difficult release. First things first, take the post entirely off the car and check/bend it till straight.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:42 PM
gsxrken
Advanced

Mark Houghton, way to bring the tech on this entire thread. Bravo.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Black 930 Turbo
AutoX

Thumbs up "L" intercooler bracket and adjusting post to engine lid.

TT Surgeon and Mark Houghton thanks for the information. (TT Surgeon) I had a extra "L" bracket which came off my eom intercooler and I went to the machine shop at work and grinded the slots to about 1/4". I removed the "L" bracket that was originally on the intercooler and installed the slightly machined one. The intercooler moved slightly down as you said but I still had clearance issues. (Mark) this is where your advice came in. I have to say you are dead on the money when it comes adjusting the post. Well let me tell you both what I did first....After noticing I was still having clearence problems I noticed that you can adjust the spoiler by loosening 4 bolts which attach the spoiler to the rear hinges. I think my friend adjusted the spoiler this way because I noticed it wasn't flush against the reflector but to be frankly........I can't fault him at all because he was the one who figured out my car's CDI was dead and gone. Anyway I adjusted the screws which use a allen wrench by the way and tried to adjust it to where it would come down flush with the reflector and that is when disaster struck. As I was adjusting the spoiler I was also make sure it would clear the intercooler also so as I was bringing it down I heard the post that was attached to the lid make a "click" sound. My heart dropped for a minute because I read your post prior to doing anything. My thinking was I haven't touched the post so I will just pull the release cable and all will be well. WISHFUL THINKING!!!!.........the lid did not come up at all but after about 20 minutes I was finally able to get it to release. I removed the post and I am checking it to see if it is bent. I will get up in the morning and install it after making the adjustments you recommended.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

:WISHFUL THINKING!!!!.........the lid did not come up at all but after about 20 minutes I was finally able to get it to release. I removed the post and I am checking it to see if it is bent. I will get up in the morning and install it after making the adjustments you recommended.
We all tend to learn the hard way sometimes. I too had my latch stick after adjusting the post too far...trying to take up just a little bit of slack in the lid for a "perfect" fit. Damn thing wouldn't open, and I spend a boat load of time researching what the hell to do about it. I think 911's have an emergency release thingy behind one of the tail light lenses, but no so with a 930. You stick it...and you're stuck.

I eventually found a post from someone on the 911 form that recommended a simple resolution: Grab both sides of the tail in a bear hug, and wrestle that SOB sideways/up and down/back and forth with all your might....always keeping just slight upwards pressure. The sideways trick helps to relieve any lateral tension on the mechanism (useful if the post is bent to start with). Once she popped up (and that called for a shot of whiskey in celebration) I took the time to adjust it properly. And - while I was in there - I installed a remote wire up to the mechanism as an emergency release, just in case the cable were ever to break. It is impossible to reach the mechanism with the lid closed....period.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Black 930 Turbo
AutoX

Mark could you tell what you used or how you installed a remote wire to the release mechanism incase the original cable broke. I think that is a good idea and I would like to do this to my car as well.
Old 06-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Mark could you tell what you used or how you installed a remote wire to the release mechanism incase the original cable broke. I think that is a good idea and I would like to do this to my car as well.
I just took a length of stiff wire (actually, I think I used an old coat hanger!), connected one end to the latching mechanism and ran the wire down between the muffler and the rear valence. It just hangs up in there unseen but within reach. I imagine there is a much more "polished" way to do it, but it's functional and at the time I was being paranoid.

A guy could probably get fancy and purchase something like a lawn mower choke cable and hook it up, route it appropriately and a bit more professionally for a finished permanent look.

Quick Reply: 1987 911 Turbo cut off while driving