911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Kremer 935, your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Iggy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kremer 935, your thoughts?

Posted this first on a 964 turbo forum, but the guys think it's a 930-935, so I'll ask you 930 guys as well:

Going through a local used cars portal, I have found this rare 1992 Kremer based on 964 or 930 turbo (allegedly, pls read below....)

The car is in a decent condition as far as chassis and bodywork are concerned. The body kit is in a very good condition.

However...

...3.3 turbo engine and 4 speed manual have been replaced with a 3,6 n/a engine and a 4 speed automatic transmission. It's either that or an ordinary 911 was fitted with a Kremer bodykit, roll-bar, rims, suspension, which I find hard to believe based on Kremer history and information I got about this particular car from independent local sources... I have sent VIN to Kremer, but no reply from them for a week.

I'm thinking of buying the car and restoring it to its original condition. Rumor has it, it had 700hp when new, one of the owners over-revved the engine and blew it. It was then sold and, the new owner repainted it (red to black) and replaced the engine and transmission. Most of the engine parts (save from the block) can be traced, and probably bought from the current owner who installed them in his 964 turbo, a still unfinished project car after more than 5 years ...

Interior is in a decent condition but I would do a complete renovation (full leather) anyway.

The car has less then 58,000 miles on the clock (this can be false of course...).

I own a 997 Targa 4S as a daily driver, so this car would be a weekend toy and a keeper.

What do you guys think, should I bother?
Attached Images     

Last edited by Iggy; 01-18-2011 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a DP conversion 930, not 964. You can tell its a DP as the Kremer Street K2 had a diffuser on top of the hood at the leading edge, a longer rear tail and slightly raised up front quarter panels.

This seems to be a conversion done fairly well, but neglected.

In the attached pics, the black car is a Kremer car, the grey is a DP car. Note placement of the front fender louvers, bumper shapes, hood diffuser and tail sections.
Attached Images        
Old 01-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Guns951
Race Car

FWIW the original post isn't the 15" wide body, but the 13" widebody which is 2" wider than the standard 930 flare.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:33 AM
Iggy
Intermediate

Thanks Guns951, I can see difference between DP and Kremer in your post. However, I've read somewhere that DP used to supply their body kits to Kremer.

The car in my post has Kremer plate on the dash in the far right corner, pls see attached pictures...

Btw I have red your post on 930 to 935 conversion, and that's the reason I'm even thinking of taking this battered Kremer (or DP) and recreating something special, though not as extreme as you did. Congrats on a wonderful and unique car.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Iggy; 01-17-2011 at 05:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Thanks brother for the kind words.

On the plate there should be a serial number or some type of identification tag. See if you can get that number and you can contact the Kremer Bros or DP in Cologne and they will be more than happy to give you information on the car.

One thing is certain, the Kremer / DP connection hasn't had a line drawn in the sand and they continuously helped each other out in their own various ways. DP does the GREAT fiberglass layups and IIRC Kremer for the street cars used their bodywork production facilities for a short time.

There are so many versions of the K2 Street and DP 935 Street, and all produced in such small numbers to a high level of customization for each customer, it does get very difficult to figure out which is which.

Keep us posted on what you learn and what you decide to do, best of luck!
Old 01-17-2011, 12:15 PM
Guns951
Race Car

BTW it looks to be a kitted up 993 by the center console...verrrrrrry interesting also looks to be twin turbo...
Old 01-17-2011, 05:02 PM
Iggy
Intermediate

Sad news: Local Porsche dealer checked the vin, it reads out as a 964 Carrera 2, production year 1992.

I really don't know what to think anymore. Is it a 964 with added DP 935 bodykit, or is it a 935 with changed win, engine, transmission...

I've checked the car in person with a trusted mechanic/friend, all panels save for the doors and the roof are plexiglas, and everything seems original, no modifications, cutting...

What do you guys think, is it possible to fit DP 935 bodykit on a 964?

If the chassis is indeed a 964, I'm thinking of buying this car, stripping all of the bodywork and fitting it on a 930. I did not mention it before but "Kremer" is priced really cheap...

Last edited by Iggy; 01-18-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Yes as the 964 is essentially a 930 with different bumpers and rear reflector.

While you might be able to get this at a steal - unless you're in love with the body work and look it has I would say keep looking.

You can build up a chassis with bodywork that fit a real 935, factory or Kremer and do it right the first time around to get the body nice and light. This car will be a headache for a looooong time to come. Not to mention it doesn't have any bite to back up the bark, all show no go.

The story with cars like these is buy one either totally done, or build one yourself, or buy someone else's project that just couldn't finish it. This car isn't any one of those catagories and can be full of expensive surprises. Not to mention, the 15" fender width version of these cars is the sexy one, the 13" flares just don't do it for me.

Best of luck.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:45 AM
Iggy
Intermediate

Thanks Guns951,

The problem is that there are no 930 available on our market (so far). I live in a small country with just 8 million people, and I cannot import one from other countries as 930 does not satisfy minimum Euro 3 emissions standard.

Well, as you put it - I'll have to keep searching.

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate your help.
Igor
Old 01-18-2011, 11:47 AM
strudel
Racer

DP does make body kits for the 964's and 993,996. Here is a link with some photos. http://www.dp935registry.com/index.p...e=newergallery
If you want to fit DP panels to a 930 I would contact DP as they still sell the kits except the K1. That would probably be a lot cheaper than buying this car and stripping it.
If this car was cheap enough I would be temped to buy it and have some fun. If the bodywork is in good shape you could concentrate on the motor,trans and suspension. It seems to have the correct wheels, another plus.
I really like the K3 bodywork on the silver 964.
Most of the DP's in the U.S. are turbos. In Europe DP conversions were done on any 911,930,944,and 928. There are a fair number of conversions done on SC's and Carrera, etc.
On the 935 spec sheet I have it doesn't mention that the rear fenders were available in different widths. I'm running 11x15's with 295's on the rear. I should be getting my 13x15's Fuchs with 335's this week. They will also fit under the same fender.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Iggy
Intermediate

The car is going for $ 9,200 (EUR 7,000) i don't suppose I can get a bodykit from DP, transport it 5,500 miles by plane (oversized cargo) and import it for the same kid of money... That's why I'm considering buying it anyway.

But if I do buy it, I could not keep it as it is with all that in-your-eyes aero and just 250hp engine..., as Guns put it well: that would be all show-no go... I'm thinking about turbo upgrade of the 3,6 engine, it's the same block as the 3,6 964 Turbo S after all.

I know that most of the parts save from the block itself are different, than there's the transmission, oil cooling, brakes, suspension, interior... It would sum up to at least EURO 35,000, and that's a serious money for a non-original and very old sports car...

But I just can't stop thinking about it...
Old 01-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Just FYI a DP kit for the 930 or 964 runs about $14k when I priced it out with shipping. That's why I ended up doing my K3 bodywork.

Good luck in your efforts and if you ever have any questions feel free to PM or email me.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:15 PM
strudel
Racer

I would stuff a 993 twin turbo motor in there. Probably the least expensive vs. building & tuning from the ground up. The life expectancy of the trans is based on how you drive. To me, one of the two most expensive parts is done with this car, and that's the bodywork.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Iggy
Intermediate

Tnx for the advice Strudel, good point.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:22 PM
strudel
Racer

A couple more things to check. If Kremer did do the conversion I would have assumed they would have also up graded the trans, suspension and brakes. Typically customers supplied the cars so other than the build sheet the car wouldn't necessarily have any type of Kremer number (if they did one). It would still be worth a try to contact Kremer for any info. They may keep records either by the vin number or customer name.
Harold
DP935Registry

Quick Reply: Kremer 935, your thoughts?