911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Help...what is this???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:40 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Help...what is this???

I removed the air injection off my engine when it was out. Now I can't recall if this was a for the pump, or something else I am missing. The 13mm-ish tube in the middle of the photo pointing downward coming off the front of the intake manifold.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2010, 01:01 AM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That goes to the recirculation valve assembly /intake manifold / big cadmium plated disk diaphram, shown in the second photo on your Pelican post.
Mark
Old 09-20-2010, 10:00 AM
mjmoran
Instructor

I think you are referring to the cad plated disk here in this photo? This was never disconnected and has all the ports taken...
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2010, 11:56 AM
fullquack
Racer

Yes that is part of the recirculation system, there are more sections that make up the complete system. This is why I referenced all 3 major section of the system.
However to be more specific, I think that port is connected to the bottom of the intake manifold via a length of hose. There are 2 ports on the bottom of the same section of intake maniflod that the recirculation piston rides in, they are not visable by looking from the top.
Mark
Old 09-20-2010, 06:20 PM
rufrob
Three Wheelin'

Received 293 Likes on 190 Posts

I am looking for that 13mm hose too. It is NLA everywhere. I plan to try a steel braided fuel hose.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

Fullquack (as in Ducati?), you are right! I had an "ah ha" moment after reading the replies today. The port in the photo goes back, under the manifold and to another "Y" pipe that also goes to the recirc valve assembly. Problem solved. For some reason I just blocked it out, but makes perfect sense now -- that'll teach me for leaving an engine out for too long.

Now, ?#2. The vacuum port on the distributor. The one closest to the dizzy body goes to the time switch located center far left of the second photo. Then from the switch to a port on the throttle body. The second one is going directly to another port on the throttle body. The manuel shows there to be a valve of some sort to connect it to. On some earlier cars, the hose goes to a point on the breather, but my car does not have this option. Am I hooked up correctly or ???.

Thank you all for your help so far.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:07 PM
fullquack
Racer

Yes as in Ducati, I have 2, a '91 907 I.E. with many changes & a slightly warmed over '94 888.

You have a different dizzy than I so I do not want to give you bad info on the vacuum lines.

However, on mine the red hose(far side of the vacuum can pointing away from the dizzy body) goes to the throttle body (I by-passed the timed switch) and the blue hose(near side of the vacuum can pointing toward the dizzy body) goes to a port on the intake manifold right above the recirculation valave assembly.

Hope this helps.

Mark
Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
mjmoran
Instructor

Nice bikes. I have a 96 955sps along with a couple guzzi's. fun fun fun

So, you have a different dizzy? Your profile shows yours to be an 87, mines an 86 so what is different?
Old 09-22-2010, 05:37 PM
fullquack
Racer

What profile are you looking at I didn't see where I stated the year of my car with Rennlist? Anyway, mine is an '84 EURO model and the dizzy is different from the US model, even shows that in my factory shop manual.
However, upon closer inspection of your photo, I can NOW see the rear vacuum hose coming off the vacuum can. When I first looked I did not see it there. My vacuum hoses are colored so they stick out better. Your vacuum can also has a much different shape than mine, mine is thinner front to back with a much sharper edge where the 2 halfs come together.
I'm certain the function is identical thought!
I looked at a post on Pelican and noted 2 different vacuum diagrams that showed 1 version with the rear vacuum line going to a port on the throttle body, while another showed the same line going to the pressurized side of the intake. Both versions show the front vacuum line going to the throttle body.
Wish Porsche would make them all the same!
Mark

Quick Reply: Help...what is this???