1984 930? or SC converted ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1984 930? or SC converted ?

Hey guys.....yes, I'm still shopping !

Is this a REAL 930 or SC converted ? I know its heavily modded and the guy says it needs a new clutch. I guess he is out of money otherwise I don't understand why he would not have done the clutch to get top dollar....unless of course its a conversion ?! What would clutch cost to get put in on this also ?

http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/g...view=slideshow

Thanks for any and all comments.

EDIT: I see the 'Type' is indicated as a 930.....any comments still appreciated on this car.

Last edited by Shannon123; 08-16-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:42 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

The door tag says it is a 911sc, but the VIN is for a 1984 930 turbo.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:36 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

A new clutch really means "It needs a clutch and new synchros, looking at $ 3500, my guess.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:34 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an interesting looking car with a lot of unusual features but something to consider is that if you are not very wealthy or mechanically inclined it may not be the car for you. I personally would find it troubling that after all of this work, which looks like it might be fresh work, it would need a clutch. This is something that would normally be done when the engine was being worked on because it is a lot cheaper to do it then than later.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:47 PM
BReyes
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks to be local to me now. pm me if you want some help. There are many good guys around here.

Regards,
Old 08-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911rudy
This is an interesting looking car with a lot of unusual features but something to consider is that if you are not very wealthy or mechanically inclined it may not be the car for you. I personally would find it troubling that after all of this work, which looks like it might be fresh work, it would need a clutch. This is something that would normally be done when the engine was being worked on because it is a lot cheaper to do it then than later.
Bernard...this is the original post, it is a Tampa car.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/1836669285.html

911Rudy.......great post, because this is the problem I keep wrestling with and why I keep hanging around here....I learn more and more about myself each day ! While I am comfortably wealthy, I am not mechanically inclined (I have just never challenged myself, YET) The problem I fight with is I want to remain comfortably wealthy and not get into a 'money pit', on the other hand, I have a fetish for these Turbo 911's that I can't shake. Its not that I need or even want the turbo engine, rather its the body styling that I find seducing. Did anyone catch this article on Yahoo (well ,thats me in every sense) and I would like to stay that way....perhaps that means I may have to resist the temptation of my dream or find a way to make a fw more million ?!

Has anyone wrestled with this dilemma ? Assuming you did and you are here on this forum it likely means you bought a Porsche ....any regrets whatsoever ? has it cost you more or less than you expected ?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:52 PM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

Shannon123, I do not have any overly insightful advice to give you. I lusted after a P-car since I was a child. I have been to the dealer every year from about 1975 on, and finally bought a 996 in 2003. Some might call it a sickness, some a passion, and others a hobby. For me it is all the above. I am now on my 3rd p-car and both are what I would consider collectable - to me. One is more of a track car, the other a very fun and raw 930. I love the 930 for its old school feel, the connection between car and driver, and the ability to tinker with it without diagnostic tools. Money pit, not really. Yes it needs TLC, but so does a wife or girlfriend. There is always something to improve which is part of the fun and also a way to spend time getting your hands dirty. There is so much help out there you will be able to do a lot of things on your own with mild mechanical ability. My advice, find the best car for you that you are in love with. Do not compromise. Where you lose money is in the buying and selling, not holding.
Once you get one, drive it like you stole it!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RobT 394
Shannon123, I do not have any overly insightful advice to give you. I lusted after a P-car since I was a child. I have been to the dealer every year from about 1975 on, and finally bought a 996 in 2003. Some might call it a sickness, some a passion, and others a hobby. For me it is all the above. I am now on my 3rd p-car and both are what I would consider collectable - to me. One is more of a track car, the other a very fun and raw 930. I love the 930 for its old school feel, the connection between car and driver, and the ability to tinker with it without diagnostic tools. Money pit, not really. Yes it needs TLC, but so does a wife or girlfriend. There is always something to improve which is part of the fun and also a way to spend time getting your hands dirty. There is so much help out there you will be able to do a lot of things on your own with mild mechanical ability. My advice, find the best car for you that you are in love with. Do not compromise. Where you lose money is in the buying and selling, not holding.
Once you get one, drive it like you stole it!
++++ what he said!!! I couldn't have said it better.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shannon123
Bernard...this is the original post, it is a Tampa car.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/1836669285.html

911Rudy.......great post, because this is the problem I keep wrestling with and why I keep hanging around here....I learn more and more about myself each day ! While I am comfortably wealthy, I am not mechanically inclined (I have just never challenged myself, YET) The problem I fight with is I want to remain comfortably wealthy and not get into a 'money pit', on the other hand, I have a fetish for these Turbo 911's that I can't shake. Its not that I need or even want the turbo engine, rather its the body styling that I find seducing. Did anyone catch this article on Yahoo (well ,thats me in every sense) and I would like to stay that way....perhaps that means I may have to resist the temptation of my dream or find a way to make a fw more million ?!

Has anyone wrestled with this dilemma ? Assuming you did and you are here on this forum it likely means you bought a Porsche ....any regrets whatsoever ? has it cost you more or less than you expected ?
Interesting article on millionaires. Funny, I don't consider myself a millionaire, but I came to the realization (almost 7 years ago) when I was about 50 that I had reached that mark. And I guess it was a couple years later that I bought the 930.

Now, the term "millionaire" is extremely misleading. Sure, add up all my liquid assets as well as those non-liquid and I guess I qualify. But could I lay my hands on that much cash in a heartbeat??? NOT! Only when I die or unload all the assets would I feel well-off. Until then, life is too short not to enjoy the things that bring you pleasure.

Dreaming is ok for the short-term, but fullfilling the dream is the important part....or why bother dreaming at all?

Man, I'm waxing philosophical here. 'scuse me.....
Take your time, buy the right car that's properly sorted out, enjoy the hell out of it, and have confidence that it will be a valued part of your assets in the end.

Quick Reply: 1984 930? or SC converted ?