911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

My new 930

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new 930

Hi guys - before I get (quite rightly) slated let me assure you that photos are on their way!

Anyway, as I mentioned briefly on another thread, I have found myself a 930 after a short while of searching. In short, it is everything I hoped it would be! It's a 1987-model in dark blue (not sure of the precise colour) and is completely standard. Blue leather interior, colour-coded fuchs and a good service history which includes an engine and gearbox rebuild 7k miles ago. Mileage now is 97k. Mechanically it's very good but the paintwork is patchy (some poor spraying) so I've booked it in for a full respray, after which it should look absolutely lovely.

I've a history of 911s - two 964C2s, Carrera 3.2, 964 turbo and an SC track car (which I still have). Despite having a long love of the 964 I much prefer the feel of the early cars without power-steering and with a gearbox that needs to be treated with care. Having loved the thrill of the 964 turbo it seemed a logical move to get a 930 which I thought would combine the enjoyment of the 3.2/SC with the excitement of the turbo. And it's proved to be exactly as I hoped.

Not without some interesting experiences along the way. Note to anybody looking for a 930 - drive a few as they can vary considerably. I nearly fell for a lovely 1982 car with near-perfect bodywork but when I drove it the experience was very underwhelming; pretty slow, poor gearchange (the dreaded 3rd-gear synchro), disappointing sound. In otherwords, a total contrast to the one I eventually bought.

I took it for its first decent drive at the weekend and was blown away by the speed - and, more importantly, how that speed was experienced. It brought a huge grin to my face. Importantly for me it's also very enjoyable at low speeds - with the windows down I can hear the turbo spooling up and plenty of popping from the exhaust on the overrun.

So...I've entered another chapter of 911 ownership and I look forward to frequenting this forum and hearing from other owners. And the photos will follow...
Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KP, ya' done good! Excellent choice of years, by the way.

I can tell you that the turbo speed grin never goes away. Just this morning, I brought mine to work with me after almost 3 weeks of sitting in the garage just pining away (the car, I mean). On my favorite stretch of road where passing cars and the evil eye of law enforcements is less of a gamble, I found the need to exercise the turbo to pass a couple cars. Gentle 3rd gear throttle feed, then floored for a couple seconds to blow out the dust. I don't think I even hit 5000 rpms before shifting up to 4th and was moving along at a brisk pace (read into that what you will) when I checked the speedometer. There was soooo much more throttle left, but I don't choose to risk injuring myself or others and don't relish the thought of spending time in jail on reckless driving charges.

But oh...the adrenaline rush is better than the first cup of coffee in the morning.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:58 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Where are those pics!!! BTW congrats
Old 06-26-2010, 05:07 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Sorry guys, pics delayed - car's gone in for a full respray. Should look good in a few weeks and will get the camera out!
Old 06-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:43 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kusee pee
Sorry guys, pics delayed - car's gone in for a full respray. Should look good in a few weeks and will get the camera out!
Sorry...we can't excuse you for not showing the 'before re-spray' pics...so I did a bit of searching around....is this it?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1762094.htm

Old 07-01-2010, 03:18 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Sorry...we can't excuse you for not showing the 'before re-spray' pics...so I did a bit of searching around....is this it?

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1762094.htm

Cheeky! Indeed it is...you know me too well mate! So at least you'll be able to see how much better it looks when the paint's all done!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:00 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

so where are the photos champ??
Old 09-21-2010, 05:21 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Funny you ask as it just came back last week! Three months is a long time to wait...however it now has a complete respray with any signs of rust sorted. For a 24year old car I'd say the bodywork is about as good as I could expect it to ever get which is a nice feeling! The biggest delay was rust damage on both sills - apparently previously fixed but when it was all stripped it became clear that one person's idea of fixed was not the same as mine...It was not a pleasant discovery as the previous owner had hidden the problem well so I'd thought all was good. However, it's nice to know that it now not only looks good on the outside but is also sorted where you can't see. And it should last for many a year. After only having it back for a week it's now going off again - but not for long. This time just for a service, a few small fixes plus I'm having it lowered and aligned. So the 'real' pics will follow in the next week or so. For now here's a glimpse taken on my camera phone.

Last edited by kusee pee; 11-02-2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:16 AM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

looks great...very contemporary colour....stealth like look....Very nice! I guess when you see these things done properly the first time the wait is well worth it.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM
The Baron
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell of a security fence you have there !

Judging by that warning sign on the fence, you definitely don't want your new 930 tampered with.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:42 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

The car's due to come back to me after some service work this weekend. Can't wait. However, there were many little bits and bobs that 'needed' doing during the service - typical older 911 things - so the bill is quite hefty. Can't wait to actually spend some time with the car at last. It's been nicely lowered so will post some new pics.
Old 10-10-2010, 06:20 PM
bigunit_271078
Burning Brakes

good stuff mate...should see it at silvestone this weekend coming.

Quick Reply: My new 930