911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

86 turbo EFI conversion + rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 PM
kylew
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 turbo EFI conversion + rebuild

I've owned my turbo for the past 6 years we have had our ups and downs but overall it has been a good experiance. Earlier this year I was contemplating selling the car and getting a new cayman S but in the end I have decided to keep the 930 and upgrade it this coming fall.

As the car sits now it is all stock with the exception of a K-27 turbo and a fabspeed muffler. It has 112000 miles, the engine and transmission have never been rebuilt. The car still runs great. The transmission still works perfect if you have the right touch with the shifter.

This will be 100% a street car my goal is to build a car that will be reliable enough to drive the the cottage and takes some short trips without having to worry about break downs. It is very important to me that the car will be able to start and run perfectly when its 20 degrees outside or if its 80 in the summer.

A few of the things I will be rebuilding.

Transmission will be rebuilt and stay stock

The bolt ons

K-27 7200
Fabspeed muffler
Schnell Headers
Kokeln intercooler
EFI Injection (no idea what kit I'm going to use yet)

What I would really like to know is with an engine this old what parts should I be getting replaced on the bottem end pistons, rods, cam, intake/exhaust valves?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:11 PM
jwasbury
Instructor

You probably will need/want new pistons and cylinders. Rods can be refurbished so long as they are straight, and are frequently reused. You should have the crank magnafluxed, checked for cracks and have journals measured. If ok, have it micropolished and run it. You'll obviously want to replace the main, rod and intermediate shaft bearings. ARP or Raceware rod bolts are recommended as are upgraded headstuds.

You'll want the heads rebuilt. A fresh valve grind and new guides at a minimum. The machine shop can inspect your valves and tell you whether they are ok to reuse. Valve springs are often reused, but not too expensive to replace while you're in there.

Cams are optional, but while you're in there an upgrade is possible. New or refurbished rockers are recommended when changing cams. Since your plan is for EFI, that opens up cam possibilities that you wouldn't have if you stay with CIS.

Pick up Bruce Anderson's 911 Performance handbook and Wayne Dempsey's 911 Engine rebuild book if you haven't already. Good resources to study when undertaking such a project (doing the wrenching yourself or not).
Old 04-07-2010, 01:48 AM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Are you in Michigan? Jake has pretty much laid it out, I will add that if you want EFI find a car that has already been sorted and buy that one because it can be a long and expensive road to success with EFI.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Rob S
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would never embark on EFI for a street car unless you are just a glutton for punishment. The benefits of EFI, in my opinion, rest in its ability to reliably supply more fuel and better spark control for very high performance applications. The CIS, though a bit dated and clumsy, works just fine for the street and it does exactly what you need -- it starts at 20 deg F and runs fine at 80 deg F. One of the more challenging aspects of EFI is getting it tuned right for the broad range of street conditions you're likely to see. It takes a lot of patience and fiddling. Which means money. EFI can really raise the ceiling on performance potential, and it makes for an interesting technical exercise, but if you're looking for street reliablilty and flexibility, with modest performance improvements, I wouldn't do it.

Rob
78 930 EFI

Quick Reply: 86 turbo EFI conversion + rebuild