Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

A beautiful beast ... now line up the exhaust tips
Old 03-18-2010, 09:19 PM
goobee
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I recognize those red gauges.... maybe the guys in Van Nuys Ca. did not screw up your build but rather you did not build the motor to meet your intended use. did you use new valves,mag bronz valve guide, flame rings and adequate valve springs?

With 3.8 TT you will go through those P/C quickly so tune it moderately to save those pricey bits.

You do not get any gain from using dual M&W pro 16 is required if motec does not support a single pro 16C. I debated this with the experts and decided to use a single pro16C

Anyway, The car is beautiful and I'm glad to see there are others building these monster cars.

And there is NO Excuse for the shoddy weld job on the roof. It should have been butt welded all around with a support strip of sheetmetal beneth the butt joint. I takes time to do it right but will last a lifetime.

Peace out.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by goobee
Hi,

I recognize those red gauges.... maybe the guys in Van Nuys Ca. did not screw up your build but rather you did not build the motor to meet your intended use. did you use new valves,mag bronz valve guide, flame rings and adequate valve springs?

With 3.8 TT you will go through those P/C quickly so tune it moderately to save those pricey bits.

You do not get any gain from using dual M&W pro 16 is required if motec does not support a single pro 16C. I debated this with the experts and decided to use a single pro16C

Anyway, The car is beautiful and I'm glad to see there are others building these monster cars.

And there is NO Excuse for the shoddy weld job on the roof. It should have been butt welded all around with a support strip of sheetmetal beneth the butt joint. I takes time to do it right but will last a lifetime.

Peace out.
Well the motor wasn't built by the shop in Cali - I bought that as a lump from someone on Pelican and have no issues with the motor. The specs on it are wonderful except for a crappy standalone EMS that is real old, but that wasn't too much of an issue and I don't fault the cali shop for anything on the motor at all. It has flame rings, tripple valve springs, ti retainers, uber light flywheel, mag guides, ITBs, etc. the hardware on the motor is great, again I have no issue with it.

My beef with the shop in cali was the shotty gutter delete,
electrical shorts throughout the car that they wired,
incorrect bolts connecting the motor to the tranny,
rear quarter panels mounted too low on the chassis that caused cracks from the poor method of mounting (cracking just sitting there not on the road with ZERO miles on the bodywork),
motor mounts that were barely holding the motor in,
Not torquing the clutch and flywheel bolts allowing the clutch to seperate and sever the hydraulic clutch line after approx. 4 miles of driving on the street,
mounting a wing backwards and having to argue with them to have them flip it around,
not connecting a boost controller which they were supposed to do when installing the motor along with the knock gaurd,
supplying incorrect voltage to the turn signals that caused one of them to melt,
not securing my headlights so if you hit a highway expansion joint they no longer point directly ahead but one points off the road, the other goes 1 ft in front of the car,
mounting a centermount oil cooler .5" away from the tub where no flow can make it through the cooler,
a speedometer that is not connected to the sensor and won't work,
cross threaded centerlock hubs,
a F**cked up uber rare 19" rim that they rolled the car around on when a tire lost pressure messing up the lip that had to be repaired,
the rear suspension was resting on the dust covers for the coil over shocks allowing no travel at all,
incorrect setup on the front suspension that had the A arms resting on the rotors then rolling it around like that enough to strip the inside edge of brand new 993 tt rotors by a good little bit

I could go on and on...but quite frankly the $170k I spent there was wasted and I take it as a lesson learned

The MOTEC M600 does support the dual M&W boxes and will allow sequential spark - these guys have tons of experience in Grand Am with Audi and a whooooole bunch of Porsches with the same setup. And for the twin plug motor it is needed for grabbing everything we can get power wise.

I'm actually looking forward to pushing the 3.8 a bit as I can't wait to go to 3.9 jugs on her when these wear out.

I'm glad you dig the build - the fun part is just about to start!!!! I really enjoy the fact that so many dig these types of projects as it really makes me happy to do it.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:15 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Great build Guns,
but to my knowlege all K3's were KREMER's V3.0 basically. Not this A Wayne - you're right brother - when I say original I meant that they were run on the original K3s, not that they came that way from Kremer or Porsche.

On these cars, basically no 2 were alike on outside and inside - its fascinating looking at the details, dashes etc. that there were so many ways to set these cars up

Anyways, keep you the good work
Old 03-19-2010, 05:42 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Guns951
We actually studied thousands of old K3 photos and decided to misalign them to match the original cars. There was much, much discussion as to whether or not to line them up perfectly or not, as we're using so many factory original 935 parts we decided it was best along with the variations in the body work from side to side, so match this unique quality of the original cars.
I understand what you're saying but then again you have Tial wastegate's, Garrett turbo's and Motec EMS etc so it's a rather enhanced replica than a 100% original spec.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:16 AM
mattipuh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just amazing build, thanks for sharing photos!
Old 03-24-2010, 01:44 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

when i close my eyes, my 965 is actually a K3
Old 03-24-2010, 05:31 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Duke
I understand what you're saying but then again you have Tial wastegate's, Garrett turbo's and Motec EMS etc so it's a rather enhanced replica than a 100% original spec.
Enhanced, efficient, and usable is what I think the direction of this effort was.
100% original spec would have been a waste unless being used for vintage racing only. Guns951 is a street/road warrior.. with an occasional track adventure thrown in for good measure!

Yo..
Old 04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
ritzblitz
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love this thread.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Gabe, sorry for your troubles with that shop in Cali. Wish I had known you were planning such an incredible build here in LA, as there are a couple great shops (both in Van Nuys, no less) I'd recommend in a heartbeat as places that do things the right way. But now that the guys at Z-haus are doing the deed, best of luck in this fantastic adventure.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:59 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Awesome work! I'll tell you a story that will make you sick - it's probably one of things I regret not doing most. On e-bay there was a car from a museum with 935 body work. It had a normally aspirated motor but the auction said it was one of a few prototypes for the race car. The car was apparently driven by a known racer - whose name I can't remember now (Johnson?). They had a big write up on it in the auction. The 935 parts were made from original molds.

The sick part? I won the auction at $22,000 and backed out of it. My reasoning was that I wasn't 100% sure of everything. For example the advertisement was all about the race pedigree of the car but you couldn't be sure if they meant the car in the auction or the car it was based upon. Plus they had a long winded story about the driver who supposedly owned the car. Finally, the auction was listed as a 1980's 911 so was it just a body kit on an old 911 or a true 935? It looked just like the blue car posted here but it was white.

Still for $22k I should have at least stepped up and had it inspected just know what it was. Could have been the one that got away.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:59 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

PS: Is the 951 project still a go?
Old 04-04-2010, 03:50 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

I'm looking to see if I saved the pictures of that car. Did a little search and I believe it was John Paul who owned it and they called it JLP-1 or something like that.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Hey brother - the 951 is still a go, but waiting on this project to finish up. This car will hopefully run 260 mph in October so its the priority right now.

Nice story on the K3 JLP I thing - sometimes life gives us unexpected packages of which we can never be sure what they are

Quick Reply: Zuffenhaus 935 K3 Build for Fünf Gruppen