911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Upgrading 930 FI System

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:37 PM
hispdvic
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading 930 FI System

I have a 3.3 turbo with CIS and I want to uprade to a newer FI system, I was told there is a 3.2 manifold and fI swap that can be done, Are there any other FI upgrades that can be done for better performance, and does anybody know of somebody selling a newer system that would work?
Old 02-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by hispdvic
I have a 3.3 turbo with CIS and I want to uprade to a newer FI system, I was told there is a 3.2 manifold and fI swap that can be done, Are there any other FI upgrades that can be done for better performance, and does anybody know of somebody selling a newer system that would work?
You can make marginal upgrades to the CIS but it would limit control and ultimate power and performance of the 3.3. It is a question of how much you want and how much is your budget.

A modern EFI system offers by far the most power, drivability, and reliability .
To benefit the most from such a system you will want to make other upgrades to match the fueling and timing potential of the EFI. These could include but not limited to improved exhaust, turbo and intercooler.

A 3.2 carrera manifold is an option for improved flow but not mandatory, since there are many kits that use the OEM pancake type and work well.

It is unlikely you will find a used system with everything you need, and more importantly you need a good tuner to get the most out of it for your desired performance.
Elliot

Last edited by Turbohead; 02-26-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: left out info
Old 02-26-2010, 09:29 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

BTW
Check with Geoffrey at.

Racetek Engineering
Old 02-27-2010, 01:13 AM
hispdvic
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 FI upgrade

I forgot to mention that I have done all the upgrades on the motor, bigger turbo and intercooler, 964 cams, head work, headers, 4" twin exh.,crankfire ign., and some other things.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hispdvic
I forgot to mention that I have done all the upgrades on the motor, bigger turbo and intercooler, 964 cams, head work, headers, 4" twin exh.,crankfire ign., and some other things.

Check with Geoffrey at.

Racetek Engineering

Elliot
Old 02-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

I checked Racetek but their site is down, so I have to check back. Would the 964 or 968 FI systems bolt up and work and give you the power that the 3.2 conversion does?

No
The normally aspirated system will not work on your Turbo.
The 3.3 is a very strong engine and can make enormous power.But custom tuning is a must.

Since your have made some nice upgrades including a crank fire ing. You only need to add a fuel system that flow enough to optimize your engine's potential and keep it safe.

At the very least you need ECU which can control fuel , timing, and boost. I have a Haltech Ev11 v2 but each tuner have his preference depending on his knowledge of the software and experience. (Geoffery ) is Top notch and he is the man.

You need fuel rails and blocks ,a fuel pressure regulator, injectors, and some new sensors that will work with your ECU.

The carrerra 3.2 intake manifold has more and even air flow than the the CIS one, but you may have to make more modifications to fit. including your intercooler and throttle linkage. As I said the CIS will work and it would depend how much you want to get and spend .

You need some one to put it all together and then custom tune it.

Tell me what kind of Turbo and intercooler you have ,were the heads worked?
Dual Plug ?
Where are you located?
Elliot

Quick Reply: Upgrading 930 FI System