Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Turbo Smoke???

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010 | 01:47 AM
Boeing 717

Default Turbo Smoke???

Hey guys my turbo started whining very subtly lately so i am going to take it off and have it rebuilt. However the last time i drove my car a few weeks ago i accelerated hard and for the first time since i have had my car i noticed a large cloud of white smoke in the rear view mirror. I removed turbo today and there is absolutely no oil in the hose that goes to the intercooler or in the intake plenum, so assuming it was the turbo that was causing the smoke...does that smoke tend to come out of the exhuast turbine side or out of the wastegate??? When a turbo goes bad what is it usually that causes the smoking...ie oil going into the engine from the turbo or oil leaking from the turbo and out of the exhaust???

Thanks
Old 01-25-2010 | 09:52 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Hey guys my turbo started whining very subtly lately so i am going to take it off and have it rebuilt. However the last time i drove my car a few weeks ago i accelerated hard and for the first time since i have had my car i noticed a large cloud of white smoke in the rear view mirror. I removed turbo today and there is absolutely no oil in the hose that goes to the intercooler or in the intake plenum, so assuming it was the turbo that was causing the smoke...does that smoke tend to come out of the exhuast turbine side or out of the wastegate??? When a turbo goes bad what is it usually that causes the smoking...ie oil going into the engine from the turbo or oil leaking from the turbo and out of the exhaust???
Thanks
Sounds like that's your issue, the turbin (hot side) seals are coked up and/or worn out allowing oil to enter the exhaust header.
Old 01-30-2010 | 12:33 AM
87turbo87
Advanced

Did you notice any dark wet residue on either the wastegate or exhaust?
Old 01-31-2010 | 10:02 PM
Boeing 717

Originally Posted by 87turbo87
Did you notice any dark wet residue on either the wastegate or exhaust?
No everything is bone dry.

Last edited by Boeing 717; 02-01-2010 at 10:10 AM.

Quick Reply: Turbo Smoke???