911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 buying questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 09:34 PM
motobri
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 930 buying questions

I have my eye on a 89 Turbo coupe w/ about 87k on the odo. Any concerns I should have. Naturally I will do a ppi.

Im a newbie to this model/year, so let me know what I s/b concerned about, if anything.

Nada has it valued at around $32k, Opinions?
BTW, what were the factory standard colors available that year? This one is red

Thanks
Old 01-17-2010, 01:45 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

You will love the 5 speed G50. http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/3.2optioncodes.htm This link will help decode the options that you will see on the underside of the front trunk lid, near the latch. There should be a 3x3" paper decal. If there is no hint of the remains of an old adhedsive, you car may have been resprayed.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:08 PM
87turbo87
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through the purchase process...had my '87 turbo delivered yesterday!

I've had a few Porsche's but to be honest the thought of buying a used turbo scared me a bit so I went a bit nuts talking to people and reading up about what to look for prior to purchase. Low miles doesn't necessarily translate into a better car. Seals dry up, tires get flat spots, etc....when guys do drive them they sometimes drive 'em hard before warmed up and put 'em away wet. Lack of driving can translate into internal corrosion because condensation sits without the benefit of heating up and drying out when driven often.

Are you buying locally or is the car out of state? If it's out of state you need to find a good tech in the area. I would suggest you DON'T use the sellers current mechanic or ANYONE the seller recommends.
Has the car been heavily modified? Don't get caught buying someone else's headache. Not that a modified car is bad...but troll this (and other) boards and you can follow lots of people taking the train from heaven to hell and back! Can you speak with the tech that has worked on the car for an extended period of time? Be prepared with detailed tech questions....most of these guys are not the most talkative people and asking "what are your general impressions of the car" will often be met with "it's nice". If the guy hesitates letting you do a compression test/leak-down walk away (fast)...this was one overriding theme I heard/read from people in the know....get the compression test done (and leak-down if need be) and while the covers are off the mechanic can check the studs. This test is a bigger pain in the a$$ on the turbo 'cause more stuff has to be removed for access but it's good money spent.

Good luck!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:00 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

It is very important to get the maintenance records and review them carefully. Then you should also try and find out the reputation of his mechanic and how he does things. Some mechanics cut corners, my mechanics do not.

Quick Reply: 930 buying questions