Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

RUF TAG IN LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 10:51 PM
RUFCAR
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up RUF TAG IN LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT...

Hey guys,
Im a new member here, been reading posts for a couple years, but just joined
as member. I have had my ride now just over 2 years, in that time she has gone through a decent makeover, engine rebuild, new paint, new carpets.
bought her from Japan, (with not much history) Only 41490 Km on the clock,
reason for makeover, this baby was in a garage where a fire broke out, (car was'nt on fire but the intense heat generated ) melting the rear end of car, ie: plastics, rubbers, & paint. Bought it at a very nice & cheap price (as is condition after fire). So with the help of my mate Dave (the Porsche Nut), we got into the start of its rebirth. I decided along the way to rebuild the engine too, just to make sure all working parts were good & healthy. As a blessing from above, whom was to rebuild the Heart, A mate of Daves whom happened to be an ex-patriot of Germany, whom also was a Mechanic at Pfaffenhausen (the RUF Gods have shone upon me). When pulling out the engine he looked closer at the block and said " mmmmm! this is a BTR" ! Anyways its all good.
So now I have an almost 99% completed car.
I have a question to all the RUF & RUF converted experts here!
This is a Euro-spec sent to Japan I believe, (I realize there are differences between Euro & US specs) But I also have a Tag/plaque riverted to the floor of my luggage compartment (near fuel tank) which states the obvious RUF Automobile Gmbh, then under that it says Typ = 930 No. 356.
So anyway my question is this, Has anyone seen this type of plaque/Tag on any
RUF conversions or similar?????????????????????
BTW my car is a 1986 year.
Kind Regards to all Porsche NUTS
NIK.....
Old 12-04-2009, 11:19 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No answers, but good for you bringing it back to life!

Where are the obligatory pix?

EDIT: Does your car have all the parts like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ONE-O...fac12dc6#v4-35
Old 12-05-2009, 01:10 AM
RUFCAR
6th Gear

How you going?
Well, I don't know at what stage/spec engine was built to, so i'm assuming standart 375HP(hoping its 400 or more),
3.4L BTR stamped block,(according to Figret,(mechanic) has all the RUF goodies internally) K29 Turbo, RUF intercooler.
4 speed Turbo Trans.
RUF wheels, steering wheel, Gauges.
Did have a RUF front spoiler, but was broken, so dave fitted a 930 spoiler until I replaced original.
There is more to tell I guess but mind has blanked.
Car has a Porsche VIN #, but this RUF tag/plaque has intrigued me to whether this was factory built????
As has been posted in the past to some peoples knowledge/belief/understanding, that early ruf conversions didnt have RUF VIN #.
I want to try & get some history on this car in Japan but the RUF site is in Japanese & no email contact,
But im still trying to get something from somewhere. It will happen tho!!! The truth is out there!!!!! Haha!!
Trying to post pics!

Regards.

How do you post pics on thread without posting a URL??

Last edited by RUFCAR; 12-05-2009 at 02:26 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 07:16 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I am no expert, but i thought all proper BTR's were either 5 or 6 speed? If it was a higher power model it would have Motronic not CIS so that will be something to check. Do you have Ruf instruments? The previous owner may have got his hands on a BTR engine and just bolted it into a stock 930. Nothing wrong with that though, you have a well built 3.4ltr engine for a start! Have you done a leak-down test?

The best way to post pics is to upload them to photobucket or flickr, copy and paste the URL address, then just put [IMG] at the start with no gap, then [/IMG] at the end with no gap, hey presto the image is in your post! Looking forward to seeing some pics
Old 12-05-2009, 07:25 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

The 5 speed will be set up like this, it's basically a 4 speed with another gear added, notice the position of 1st

I've been looking for one of these boxes for what seams like forever, if anyone has one please send me a message
Old 12-05-2009, 10:12 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

In order to post pix, you have to have a certain amount of posts. It's a low number, but I don't recall it.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:43 AM
RUFCAR
6th Gear

I'm hoping this works ???

Old 12-07-2009, 09:59 AM
ctr2
Instructor

contact Ruf in Germany, give them your full chassis number and see what they come up with.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:10 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

No idea, but that sure is a pretty car.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:58 AM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Not all BTRs were 5 speed, the thing with Ruf is that he tailored the performance package to how much the buyer wanted to spend. It is not unusual to find multiple configurations for cars produced within the same time frame, and while they may be dubbed BTR have very different states of tune. Additionally as the years have gone by I am sure people have made changes for whatever reason these cars are pretty old now and who is to say what is authentic or not.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:38 PM
3.6conversion
Instructor

there is a 79 on e-bay now that is advertised as a ruf and has the same tag. that one needs some work.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:53 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schnele is right. Plus if he had th 5-speed and it took a dump..being located in Japan...it was probably cheaper to stick a 4-speed back in there the fix the Ruf box.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:47 PM
JAMS
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a RUF car built in 1986 while living in Canada... it had a RUF specific VIN. May have been different elsewhere but my understanding was that all cars 'built' by Ruf carried their VIN. Ruf 'modified' cars would probably have still carried the original Porsche VIN.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:52 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

^^^ That's my understanding.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM
LeonardZ
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes,

All Ruf VIN cars had their own Ruf stamping where the Porsche stamp would have been.

As stated, there were many many conversions done depending on what the customer wanted each with an id of some sort.

Cool 930.

Quick Reply: RUF TAG IN LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT...