911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Turbo exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 PM
mikelambert1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo exhaust

So I finally got my car running right after all the shuddering studdering etc. You guys were right and helped me get going in the right direction. It was the warm up regulator.. and the spark plug wires, they were supposedly both new but were acting up again. So now on to my next question. My heater has a terrible exhaust smell. It is an aftermarket performance exhaust. Until I can get the funds together to replace it with another one, what kind of horsepower losses would I be looking at going back to a stock 911 turbo exhaust etc. I have an external wastegate and a greddy profec spec b, can an external wastegate be hooked up to a stock porsche exhaust etc. I dotn know the manufacturer of the current aftermarket exhaust but it is fairly free flowing and has very little muffle of the exhaust note etc.

Thanks again for the help guys,

Mike
Old 11-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to get underneath and take a look at the headers....see where the corregated piping (made out of thin wire wrapped material) comes off the heat exchangers and may be torn...or the exchangers themsevles are cracked and are allowing fumes to enter the car from underneath. Does this only happen when you activate the heat levers or does it occur all the time?
Old 11-06-2009, 10:21 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you guy's cars are different from mine but I always had a smell of oil when I first turned my heat on. I don't have the problem anymore because I don't have heat anymore.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:05 PM
gsxrken
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 86 and up US exhaust is the same as the euro and much better than the earlier ones. Assuming from your user name that you have an 87.
You might want to drop the exhaust and see whether there are some cracks that can just get welded back up.

Quick Reply: Turbo exhaust