911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

a little price help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:53 PM
mtn 3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a little price help please!

Looking at a 78 930 in silver. Car is in excellent condition.
Dash is a little worn as is driver seat but I am being hyper critical.
Has all records, 48k miles.
Any thoughts on what I should pay? any help would be greatly appricieated.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 AM
mtn 3
Rennlist Member

Really no thoughts?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:49 AM
3.6conversion
Instructor

could be a 20k car or 40k car depending on alot of factors. if the paint is original/never been damaged and in good shape, and mechanically it is sound car but the engine has never been touched i think it would be a high 20s car. a ppi would reveal it's real value.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:33 PM
mtn 3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3.6conversion
could be a 20k car or 40k car depending on alot of factors. if the paint is original/never been damaged and in good shape, and mechanically it is sound car but the engine has never been touched i think it would be a high 20s car. a ppi would reveal it's real value.
Yes perfect original paint, no damage. Two owner car from new. All maintence records.
How would a ppi reveal a value? Engine has just been maintained but at 46k should it really have needed to be touched?
Thanks for the input
Old 10-06-2009, 01:36 PM
pdqcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mtn 3
Looking at a 78 930 in silver. Car is in excellent condition.
Dash is a little worn as is driver seat but I am being hyper critical.
Has all records, 48k miles.
Any thoughts on what I should pay? any help would be greatly appricieated.
Yes perfect original paint, no damage. Two owner car from new. All maintence records.
How would a ppi reveal a value? Engine has just been maintained but at 46k should it really have needed to be touched?
Thanks for the input
First off, I recommend you get away from the mindset of thinking you're "being hyper critical" by recognizing flaws. IMHO everything is important and every flaw = $.

No matter what the odometer shows, be sure that everything is checked: Besides the usual visual details looking for paint & body repairs, rust, seal leaks, chassis cracks, suspension problems, etc., you surely must do compression & leak down tests. Driving the car will let you feel the tranny & suspension. I've even taken an oil sample from trans and motor for analysis.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:02 PM
mtn 3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pdqcarrera
First off, I recommend you get away from the mindset of thinking you're "being hyper critical" by recognizing flaws. IMHO everything is important and every flaw = $.

No matter what the odometer shows, be sure that everything is checked: Besides the usual visual details looking for paint & body repairs, rust, seal leaks, chassis cracks, suspension problems, etc., you surely must do compression & leak down tests. Driving the car will let you feel the tranny & suspension. I've even taken an oil sample from trans and motor for analysis.
The good thing about this car is the guy that maintains my audi's, and gt3
has taken care of this car for 8 years, we know its in perfect shape, and have a trusted history so pretty comfortabe with mechanicals.
any sence on a good range of price?
Old 10-06-2009, 06:56 PM
pete77930
Racer

I would say 30-35k in this economy. when things were good i'd of said 35-40k.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An unmolested, original car is becoming progressively harder to find, and thus harder to price. I have a 79 that is in about the same shape as the 78 you're lookig at, and I wouldn't part with it for $30k.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:03 PM
mtn 3
Rennlist Member

Ok so if I can buy for under 20k I am in good shape it sounds like. My gt3 may have a new stable mate soon!
Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 AM
3.6conversion
Instructor

Ok so if I can buy for under 20k I am in good shape it sounds like. My gt3 may have a new stable mate soon!

if you can buy it for under $20k you stole it. based on the condition you describe and you know the history / mechanic, i would say 30 would be a good deal. For it to be valued higher i would want a clean PPi. With the miles, it could have a broken head stud, but since the mecahinc knows the car.

i'm looking at a similar 79, so it would be interesting to know where you end up.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Garrison
Rennlist Member

Even if your mechanic knows the car I would recommend a PPI. I looked at 2 (930 and a 965) and both failed when it came to the PPI, but without the PPI I would have bought either car hands down.

Ended up buying my 930 out of state after the PPI came back clean, and I talked to the mechanic of the car since 1983 for about a week. Only then did I write the $15K check...yep I know... I stole it. Still had issues when it got here, but for the money I spent, was well worth the wait.

Maybe take the car to another P-shop and get them to do the PPI. A new set of eyes is not a bad thing.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:51 AM
mtn 3
Rennlist Member

Is there an actual form or format for a PPI?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:25 AM
vascott99
Instructor

Someone has provided a detailed write up...and it is highly reccomended to have another set of eyes..as "Garrison" stated...

I am still learning about things my PPI did not catch at each Tech Inspection I go too...BTW for some who do not know what a tech inspection is......It is required prior to taking your car out on the track..They do a thorough look over to verify your car is safe to take out on the track....and it is usually hosted by a local shop and it is free...Also anyone with a P-car and a thirst for knowledge are always welcome to attend...

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...immermann.html
Old 10-08-2009, 11:19 AM
mtn 3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vascott99
Someone has provided a detailed write up...and it is highly reccomended to have another set of eyes..as "Garrison" stated...

I am still learning about things my PPI did not catch at each Tech Inspection I go too...BTW for some who do not know what a tech inspection is......It is required prior to taking your car out on the track..They do a thorough look over to verify your car is safe to take out on the track....and it is usually hosted by a local shop and it is free...Also anyone with a P-car and a thirst for knowledge are always welcome to attend...

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...immermann.html
Good info, thanks.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Garrison
Rennlist Member

I think every PPI is different depending on the tech that is doing it, and the shop that you go to. I would call and see what they do in their PPI so you have an idea if it is worth the time, investment, etc. to bring the car to them...

In the end though, another set of eyes, and a PPI are recommended.

Quick Reply: a little price help please!