911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

3.3 liter engine rebuild suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 11:34 PM
Millhaus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.3 liter engine rebuild suggestions

Okay time for a rebuild of my stock 1980 930 with a K27-7200, GHL exhaust, 1 bar spring, CIS with euro fuel delivery and headers.

What if anything should I consider for an upgrade? SC cams, larger pistons, etc... or leave it stock.

Please include expected performance gains if you've done upgrades to your engine.
Old 08-18-2009, 11:35 PM
Millhaus
Advanced

By the way I want BOLT ON upgrade suggestions

Thanks
Old 08-19-2009, 12:02 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mods will give you more power, but a shorter life span in the long run. How long depends on how hard you drive it. I use an MSD6AL with a 6400 rpm chip in it. No need to wind it past that IMHO.

I'm trying to remember what all I did to my engine several years ago, but I do recall the following:
I know it's not all bolt on, but the list has items you want to check or think about.

Balance the rods and crank
Rebuild the rods
Polish the crank
Inspect the oil pump
Re-build the heads with new valves, guides and EBS racing valve springs.
Twin plug the heads (and mod the valve covers)
Port the heads for a 3.2 intake
Refurbish the rockers
964 full fin P&C's
ARP head studs
ARP rod bolts
K27HFS
964 cams
Old 08-23-2009, 09:09 PM
ZX3tuning
Instructor

just went through this....

all the basic hard parts can work with each other but the single most important thing in any build is fuel and supplying the right amount at the right time!
i got one of the UTCIS-PT systems and it made tuning the car a breeze! It is as close as you can get to EFI without the big dollars! Well worth the money and very little extra time to setup!

you'll probably run out of turbo above 6000rpm with the 7200.

what do you want to spend and what do you want out of it?
Old 08-26-2009, 12:05 PM
DWalker
Racer

To suggest mods it really helps to know what your goals are as far as power, drivability, durability, etc.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:11 PM
Millhaus
Advanced

Good question. I'd say general improved performance on a daily basis. I am not racing the car but I track it several times a year. I added the K27 to get more lower end push out of the hole. It makes it more fun driving around town. At freeway speeds it is enough push to move quickly. I hear people talking about the K27 dropping off after 6000 rpms but I rarely drag out the gears that long. I am short shifting in the 5's.

So any ideas for a little more zip around town? I expect the stock rebuilt itself to be an improvement. I know I had some comression loss due to a couple of broken head stud bolts. I plan to keep the original euro CIS fuel delivery but will put on headers.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Millhaus
Good question. I'd say general improved performance on a daily basis. I am not racing the car but I track it several times a year. I added the K27 to get more lower end push out of the hole. It makes it more fun driving around town. At freeway speeds it is enough push to move quickly. I hear people talking about the K27 dropping off after 6000 rpms but I rarely drag out the gears that long. I am short shifting in the 5's.

So any ideas for a little more zip around town? I expect the stock rebuilt itself to be an improvement. I know I had some comression loss due to a couple of broken head stud bolts. I plan to keep the original euro CIS fuel delivery but will put on headers.

Any thoughts?
With your driving habits (similar to mine) might I suggest SC cams to get more low/mid range grunt. I plan to drop in some SC's this winter. Also, you may want to consider what I and a few others have done regarding increased ignition advance - coupled with programable boost sensitive ignition retard. MSD8762 module will work in conjunction with MSD6AL ignitions. I'm running 8 degrees advance at idle vs. the 0+2 stock settings. Makes a noticeable difference.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:44 PM
Millhaus
Advanced

Can I just drop in the SC cams with the stock euro CIS system and go?

No issues? I don't want to do alot of programmable boost retard, MSD ignition, etc...

My plan is "stock" where "" means reasonable, off-the-shelf, drop-in and go, up grade if possible.

Otherwise I'll rebuilt it stock.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:42 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Millhaus
Can I just drop in the SC cams with the stock euro CIS system and go?

No issues? I don't want to do alot of programmable boost retard, MSD ignition, etc...

My plan is "stock" where "" means reasonable, off-the-shelf, drop-in and go, up grade if possible.

Otherwise I'll rebuilt it stock.
The SC conversion doesn't necessarily (read not mandatory) take any additional effort (like valve springs, etc) and I believe can be setup with the same valve timing as the stock 930 cam. Still, it's far from a bolt-on. Lots of threads on the topic, some very recently posted over on Pelican.

If you don't already have the MSD6AL ignition as a replacement to the stock CDI, it does provide a hotter spark, better idle, and better off the line performance. If you do have it, then adding on the boost timing retard module is a snap.

The ignition timing thing is such a simple bolt on that it's silly. Don't let the word "progammable" scare you. Set your static timing advance where desired at idle, and a twist of two simple potentiometers sets the degree of ignition retard for each fraction of a bar of boost, to shave of the additional advance and have you properly retarded by the time you're at full boost. Elegant, relatively inexpensive, and does help wake things up off-boost.

So many choices on how far down that slippery slope to slide. Have fun!
Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 PM
DWalker
Racer

Agree SC cams are tried and true producers, although in a 3.3 they will be a bit on the small side. There are some newer cams available that are "drop in" and will work fairly well, although Im not the one to be giving too much advice on the newer cams for use in the street cars.

I prefer Garrett turbos, and would think something along the lines of a GT3072 BB turbo would be amazing on your 3.3, and proabbaly a better use of funds than cams, but obviously that adds a bit of expense.

Quick Reply: 3.3 liter engine rebuild suggestions