Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Spark plug/spark plug wire

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When in doubt...go factory. I bought new factory wires last year as my set was 22 years old and still ok but figured after 22 years I can spring for new ones from Porsche Parts.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:59 PM
930 porsche
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your inputs.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Millhaus
Advanced

Does anyone know how to ckeck the wires to see if they need replacing? You should be able to check the resistance of each wire to see if they are good or not. I just don't know what the resistance should be.

For kicks when I take my engine out I'll do a study of my new Magnecor wires and compare each wire to the original stock braided wire. I guess my braided wires to be original so it should be interesting.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:29 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

ok Still thinking about making my own wires. anyone know where to get the stainless steel plug connectors and dust boots? i have pretty much found everything else.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:22 AM
DWalker
Racer

Once upon a time most retailers like Vertex etc. carried the correct Bosch plug ends for use with 911's, but you would need to do your own research as I am no longer sure whats available where. For wire there are a lot of choices, although the Blue Max wire may be the easiest to aquire. 90% of what is available today is much better than what was available when these care were new, and unless you are really leaning on the ignition system they will all do a reasonable job.

I do not like the Iridium plugs for any turbocharged application myself, even though my Lancer Evolution came with them. In my experience the Iridium plugs are prone to spark blow out and other ignition maladies. I tend to use NGK V-Power or similar copper plugs, or the Bosche Sliver or Platin (not Platinum). On a turbocharged car it is very important to pay attention to the plug gap and check it relatively often for wear. In high-boost cars I generally replace the plugs the second or third oil change, especially if the car spends a lot of time at boost or tends to run very rich.

This is all only my experience and YMMV of course...
Old 10-23-2009, 12:56 PM
930 porsche
Track Day

Default Spark plugs

Dwalker thank you for your input.

Quick Reply: Spark plug/spark plug wire