911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Rebuilt Title Cars

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 05:00 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Probably mentioned, but check with your insurance company. Some will not insure a totaled/rebuilt/salvage car no matter what.
Geico re insured mine but only after they inspected it
Old 08-05-2009, 08:02 PM
skimp
7th Gear

I went back to the seller to see what his bottom asking price woud be and he offered to knock off a couple thousand below his original asking price but no more. He mentioned that he saw one in similar condition that sold for 37K in the west coast (also with a rebuilt title) and I'm sure he dosn't want to deviate too much from that sale price. I offered him 22K, conditional to passing a PPI, (thinking about offering him more ) but he wouldn't take it. I'm itching to get a 930 slant but losing my patience in my quest to find the right one for me. The car looks great in pictures but I haven't seen it in person. As far as insurance, I called Hagerty Insurance and they said with rebuit titled cars, it's a case by case senario. They have to examine the car to determine it's value and if they are willing to insure it.

Thanks for your thoughts

Sean
Old 08-05-2009, 10:13 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah930
Salvage/rebuilt title cars make for great race cars.
You hit in on the head there!. Rebuilt title cars either are a good deal, if you intend to keep them forever or to build them into race cars.

I've come close to buying rebuilt cars many many times but never did because I don't keep them long enough.

I've been considering them again, but only for track only cars.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the guy your phone # and mention the price of $15K. Forget about him and his car and see what happens. Most likely he will keep the car and you will move on. There is NO market for this kind of car. It seems unfair but thats life. Even if it were your own car that was stolen and then eventually returned would you give back the insurance money to get the rebuilt car back with a rebuilt title? Hell no.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 AM
Shemmer
Pro

I still don't understand that some would value this car the same as a used Pontiac Grand Prix. That tells me that because of what's written on a piece of paper our cars have virtually no use or value. The fact that it is titled does not take away from what the car actually is. (Assuming what it is) Usually when a car is written off the buyer has the opportunity to buy it back for a fraction of the residual value so if the owner "wants" the car written off it wouldn't be very difficult to write up a high estimate on a car like this as some parts from the factory are very expensive and may not even be available anymore therefore exceeding the red book value of the car.
Last year I was bidding on a 1989 930 that was hit on the drivers side rear corner. The remainder of the car had no damage and because of the hit was not drivable nor would it start. Based on some of the opinions here that car might only be worth maybe $500 since we don't even know if it runs and it will have a title. The car ended up closing at $16k and don't forget that this was a dealer auction not open to the public. $5K can buy alot of parts and labour at the wholesale end and that car would go back together like it was before the accident.
The car in question here has already been put back together so if it was done properly I cant see it's value so low if it's a $50k car. Even without an engine or transmission it's still worth more that $15K.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

The car's worth whatever someone's willing to pay for it. Personally, were I in the market for another 930, I wouldn't be willing to pay $32K for that example. I'm willing to bet neither are the vast majority of people looking for something like this. But all the seller has to do is to find that one guy who sees eye-to-eye with his pricing. If you're that guy, perfect for both of you.

Last edited by Noah930; 08-06-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 05:11 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think there are any opinions here that any 930 is worth only $500. Like I said before the salvage value alone is worth a good deal of money if it is in decent shape. I personally would never buy a 930 that was hit in the side and then "Straightened" and offered for sale. There are too many nice cars available to stick your neck out that far. As I said before about parting out the car, you would never devalue a car below its part value. If you bought it with the idea of driving it for a while and if it did not need any major work, which you will never get your money back on, you could try to sell it or part it out.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:11 AM
mike1111
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

22 is more than enough. Walk away now knowing you gave him a reasonable offer, I too was a dealer for many years and have bought hundreds of rebuilt cars and trust me very different trying to sell a rebuilt honda than a rebuilt Porsche

Quick Reply: Rebuilt Title Cars