911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

well the rebuild begins

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:58 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default well the rebuild begins

Pulled the motor friday, it's been smoking and leaking oil for a while so I have been procuring parts for several months. yesterday and today pulled it apart. I knew the rings were probably broke. The rings in cylinders 3,5 and 6 were broken. The pistons are ok and so are the cylinders. So tomorrow I'll split the case. After it started blowing by I filtered the oil every time I changed it and there was not metal in the oil. So it's going to be a 3.4 now new bearings rod bushings and rebushing the rocker arms. The last ime i had it out to fix some oil leaks i used hylomar instead of curil. all of the hylomar joints came apaert real easy, the others didnt. So i'll be using hylomar again putting it together. Havent decided if i am going to use the EBC again might just stick a 1 bar spring in the waste gate instead for reliability. There is oil every where all of the intake hoses, the intercooler, the vacuum lines. I have a LOT of cleaning to do now that everything is apart. The intake risers were falling in pieces, I dont get why porsche made these out of bakelite. So now i have to get some and quick, I plan on driving it home from the shop next friday.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a quick rebuild for next Friday... Good luck!!!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:19 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Thanks I have been collecting parts for a while. I took two weeks vacation, and I am working at a friends shop instead of my garage. So every morning i get up and go to the shop when they open, and work till 5 every evening so it should go pretty quick. Unless I run into something unexpected like the intake risers. But so far everything else is as expected.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=kens911;6749832]The last ime i had it out to fix some oil leaks i used hylomar instead of curil. all of the hylomar joints came apaert real easyQUOTE]

OK, call me stupid, but what is that crap? It's been just shy of 20 years since I've torn down a 911 engine on my old '72 Targa, and my memory banks are somewhat empty. Probably some high-tech new space age stuff that was invented around the time that we first landed on the moon.
Oh...good F'n luck on the quick rebuild. I guess a couple cases of brew and a few long days (and or nights) it can be done. Being focused and prepared shaves a lot of time off rebuilds, regardless the engine.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:36 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Mark Houghton;6749906]
Originally Posted by kens911
The last ime i had it out to fix some oil leaks i used hylomar instead of curil. all of the hylomar joints came apaert real easyQUOTE]

OK, call me stupid, but what is that crap? It's been just shy of 20 years since I've torn down a 911 engine on my old '72 Targa, and my memory banks are somewhat empty. Probably some high-tech new space age stuff that was invented around the time that we first landed on the moon.
Oh...good F'n luck on the quick rebuild. I guess a couple cases of brew and a few long days (and or nights) it can be done. Being focused and prepared shaves a lot of time off rebuilds, regardless the engine.
Actually hylomar has been around a lot longer than that but, all the rebuild kits always use curil for gasket dressing. growing up I always used permatex which never leaked but also was almost impossible to clean off. These days a lot of the nascar teams and other race teams use hylomar doesnt leak and wipes right off with acetone. 80 hours isnt bad for a rebuild unless there ends up being a bunch of machine work.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=kens911;6749944][QUOTE=Mark Houghton;6749906] growing up I always used permatex QUOTE]

Well then, I guess I'm still growing up...or just an old-fart creature of habit stuck in his ways with Permatex. Thanks for the education!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:44 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Once I got my parts from the vendors, machine shop, powder coater, etc, we assembled 75% of the motor over a weekend with three of us. Took another few days for me to complete and install the following weekend.

Getting to the starting point took like 6-8 weeks though.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:21 AM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Hey if Jim and two buddies did it in a weekend, you might as well go EFI then since you have two weeks. Just kidding, good luck with the rebuild.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:26 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Mark Houghton;6750072][QUOTE=kens911;6749944]
Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
growing up I always used permatex QUOTE]

Well then, I guess I'm still growing up...or just an old-fart creature of habit stuck in his ways with Permatex. Thanks for the education!
Actually my first rebuild was a 455 pontiac in about 1976 I lived in Selah washington at the time. Which I believe is close to your neck on the woods.
I got everything else apart. Case is cleaned, all the bearings were ok and everything measured good so no machine work needed thank god. Still havent painted my pistons yet though my neighbor keeps forgetting to bring his air brush home from work. I'm going to just go buy one tomorrow. Ceramic coating the domes and teflon coating the skirts. Wanted to put the pistons back in tomorrow but delay of a day so I'll use the time to rebush the rockers, and finish cleaning everything else. Could have put the rods back in the crank today but I forgot and left all the new bearings and everything home.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schnele
Hey if Jim and two buddies did it in a weekend, you might as well go EFI then since you have two weeks. Just kidding, good luck with the rebuild.
Hahaha you are absolute evil buddy We need to hang out more
Old 07-23-2009, 12:50 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by kens911
Thanks I have been collecting parts for a while. I took two weeks vacation, and I am working at a friends shop instead of my garage. So every morning i get up and go to the shop when they open, and work till 5 every evening so it should go pretty quick. Unless I run into something unexpected like the intake risers. But so far everything else is as expected.

Now that's what I call a vacation. And to think I spent mine over in Crystal River for the opening of scallop season this year-

Good Luck Ken, I did a build in another garage and constantly was running back and forth for this special tool and the you dont have one? problems. I hope you do better than I did.... I bet you are getting pretty fast pulling that engine. I wish you a quick recovery and hope to drop in next time I'm in the area.

Cheers, Mike
Old 07-25-2009, 01:41 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Well this garage is a porsche repair shop. So he has all the tools too and a very hot looking receptonist. but since it's a shop the tools are a lot more worn than mine. I have the rods back on the crank. Monday I will put the case back together. It was really nice usung a lift to pull the engine but to be honest I'd rather do it in the garage because I have to be there only when he is open. So I cant work on it during weekends or evenings. Also i have to get it back in next friday or i have to take more vacation.

Quick Reply: well the rebuild begins