911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 modified vrs stock

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 AM
whiter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 930 modified vrs stock

Hi all I am new to this and trying to decide between a 993 NA or a 930. I have gotton various differing opinions on the issue. I am wondering from a cost maintenance standpoint if one is better off getting a stock 930 vrs a modified.I know that the turbo creates heat and is tougher on the engine at what point do these need a rebuild seems like everything I have seen has had a rebuild by 60k. I do know that the mods are variable per car and it depends on who did it and what but like I say I am new and need to get all my facts if I can.All this caution being stated. Every highly modified 930 I have seen has been sold before I have been able to even get a call in to the owner to talk about it. I am trying to start out 30k to low 40s if I can. Also is the G50 in an 89 worth the added 10k in price? I look forward to any help from those with more expireince than I Thanks in advance RW
Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '79 is mostly stock (K27 turbo, headers) with 62K on it , and has good leakdown #'s with no sign of needing a rebuild. Heat is the enemy of these engines. Good oil coolers and lifelong use of synthetic oil has helped keep my engine in good shape. Get a good PPI , as you will hear here multiple times.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:27 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ever car you decide on make sure that the previous owner did all the things that you think you might want later. Its a whole lot cheaper than you doing it or having it done. Stock is not that much of a benefit unless you want collectability. There are numerous mods that are almost standard on any driver. EFI and major engine mods are great but make sure that where you live that there is someone who knows his stuff on these issues.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:03 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

What ever car you decide on make sure that the previous owner did all the things that you think you might want later
i was going through the receipts of the previuos owner of my 9XXX and cannot belive how much he spent sorting it out, but at least now its everything i wanted except for the expense. I say go for a car that suits your needs, take your time no rush sellers are desperate these days
Old 07-03-2009, 12:34 AM
whiter
Advanced

Question

Did you buy your 88 930 turbo form M Willhoit in Springfield MO. IT fits the description of one I called on but sold. He was asking 39 k seemed like a great deal to me with the cost of the mods alone probably double that maybe more.I think his car was like 500 hp. If it is that car how civil is it to drive and is it streetable really. Trying to figure out just how far to go go if I get one really modified. Thanks RW
Old 07-03-2009, 02:47 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by whiter
Did you buy your 88 930 turbo form M Willhoit in Springfield MO. IT fits the description of one I called on but sold. He was asking 39 k seemed like a great deal to me with the cost of the mods alone probably double that maybe more.I think his car was like 500 hp. If it is that car how civil is it to drive and is it streetable really. Trying to figure out just how far to go go if I get one really modified. Thanks RW
I would think the car is streetable. My 930 is modded, but without EFI or twin plug and it could be used as a daily driver. EFI and twin plug will make it a bit more civil as my 930 is still running on CIS with a euro fuel head and fuel enrichment. When you get off the gas, I get popping from the exhaust as it is burning off all the unburned gas. It gets quite loud with the B&B 4.5" dual out.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:11 AM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

that is exactly the one and the receipts prove it the car is perfectly streetable 500 hp it is and still cis the engine was built by chris musante who as far as i know has a great reputation
Old 07-03-2009, 11:40 AM
whiter
Advanced

Unhappy

im jealous I love the car in black. Seems like ones like yours dont last long.What do you think of Willhoit and do you find the 4 speed a negative compared to the G50 5 speed? Thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 12:09 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Willhoit i can;t say enough about easy guy to do business with look at my previous thread logging his praises. As for the comparison between 4 speedand 5 here is my take. i test drove an 87 930 prior to mpurchasing mine and my complaint was thatthe shifter felt loose could not tell which gear i was in, first felt like neutral, it was really not too user friendly. my friend here in miami also a frequent poster here has an 89 5 speed that is tight as can be no loosiness shifts smooth works excellent and is bone stock. my car has had the transmission rebuilt with all kinds of goodies including a short shifter and works perfect for a 4 speed. i think the 4 speed is a hit or miss make sure you nfind a good one

Quick Reply: 930 modified vrs stock