Smoke on start up???

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:36 PM
powerlift330
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke on start up???

Hey forum,

I recently overfilled my engine oil by a quart as I noticed that it would give a puff of white smoke on start up. It does not puff smoke any other time, just on start up after the car sits for several hours. I removed almost a quart and checked the level and it is now at the proper level. The smoke is still there on start up??? Will this go away or is there something that I need to do to get it to stop doing this? Any help is appreciated. Thanks folks!
Old 06-28-2009, 10:56 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You did check ithe level while it was warm and running, correct? Keep it halfway between the marks.

The next thing is to remove, check and clean your air cleaner, intercooler, muffler, etc. Any where that oil could have gotten into. I used Dawn dishwashing soap years ago when I overfilled mine.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:49 PM
powerlift330
Advanced

Problem solved! It hasn't done it the last few times so it must have just had to burn the bit out that was left. Thanks for the reply!
Old 06-30-2009, 08:09 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, I overfilled mine just last week by a good quart+ and didn't have any issues. Ran it until hot, checked the oil level, said "oh $hit!!", let her cool down and drained off about a quart. She's still at the top of the dipstick mark but not smokin'.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:09 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me when I agree with Rocket, drain it to the half way mark or pay the price. I left drips every where I went and everything in the engine bay was covered with a film of oil. It has no where to go except out the top end. That would be through the IC and everything that the intake air goes through. If you are unlucky enough to have replaced the OEM air filter with a simple air filter and several small hose filters, you will have a bigger mess to clean up.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Shemmer
Pro

How does oil end up in the intake or air filter box
Old 06-30-2009, 10:43 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

If you look at the oil tank filler tube, you can see a hose running from it to the air cleaner. Oil is sucked out of the tank into the housing/engine. It soaks the air cleaner, drips out the bottom of the air cleaner housing, is sucked into the intake, where it gets into the IC, then goes into the cylinders. What isn't burned then goes into the muffler where it does a slow but heavy smoke screen for days until it burns off. BTDT.

Originally Posted by Shemmer
How does oil end up in the intake or air filter box
Old 06-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911rudy
Trust me when I agree with Rocket, drain it to the half way mark or pay the price. I left drips every where I went and everything in the engine bay was covered with a film of oil. It has no where to go except out the top end. That would be through the IC and everything that the intake air goes through. If you are unlucky enough to have replaced the OEM air filter with a simple air filter and several small hose filters, you will have a bigger mess to clean up.
Ok Rudy, will do. I just love the feel of hot motor oil draining down my arm. For all the zillions of oil changes I've done in my life, I have yet to master the science of a spill-free change.
So far, no drips no smoke no symptoms of overfull. But I really don't want to wait for them to occur when all it takes is a couple of minutes and some rags....
Old 06-30-2009, 10:50 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

It doesn't have to be hot. Your only trying to drain half a quart. Unscrew and hold the drain plug at the drain and just let it stream out slowly.

Since it's not hot. you won't drop the plug and lose all your all.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
If you look at the oil tank filler tube, you can see a hose running from it to the air cleaner. Oil is sucked out of the tank into the housing/engine. It soaks the air cleaner, drips out the bottom of the air cleaner housing, is sucked into the intake, where it gets into the IC, then goes into the cylinders. What isn't burned then goes into the muffler where it does a slow but heavy smoke screen for days until it burns off. BTDT.
This seems to be a condition I see on my car from time to time. Does it make any difference how the car is driven or treated with respect to the amount of oil in the intake and secondly is there a way of rerouting that oil tube so that the oil does not end up in the IC or intake?
Old 07-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
It doesn't have to be hot. Your only trying to drain half a quart. Unscrew and hold the drain plug at the drain and just let it stream out slowly.

Since it's not hot. you won't drop the plug and lose all your all.
About hot, I was just being facetious. And I'm happy to report that I drained out about 3/4 qt. without spilling a drop....well, except for coating my entire hand. But I kept it off the garage floor. Gives me a reason to drive her tomorrow!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:53 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Sorry. I should have known. I drop my drain plug every time I change my oil. Thean I reach into the boiling oil to find it. I guess warm doesn't mean scalding.

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
About hot, I was just being facetious. And I'm happy to report that I drained out about 3/4 qt. without spilling a drop....well, except for coating my entire hand. But I kept it off the garage floor. Gives me a reason to drive her tomorrow!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:45 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

The oil tube that goes to the intake from the oil tank is so the oil vapor will be burned in the engine and not vented to the atmosphere. People that remove the OEM intake don't have anywhere to run the hose so they put little filters on the end of the hose. The oil vapor is trapped in the filter for a while but eventually will seep out into the engine bay. Here is how I and others have combined a new freer flowing filter but retain the oil hose hook up.
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Shemmer
Pro

Excuse my ignorance but mine also has a similiar intake housing with a K&N filter so which is the oil hose on your system?
Old 07-01-2009, 02:39 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can see one of the small lines directly under the narrow part of the intake housing. There is also one that you can't see on the back side of the same housing.

Quick Reply: Smoke on start up???