911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

follow-up to 4500 rpm idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 03:04 PM
mcguff73
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default follow-up to 4500 rpm idle

finally got some time to work on my 930. I posted a question several weeks ago about a 4500 rpm "idle" and got a lot of good advice. Hard to believe, but the problem actually turned out to be a bent throttle linkage under the floorboard. Whenever I pushed the clutch in, it was rubbing against the bent linkage and openning the throttle. Whenever I shut the engine off to investigate, I let the clutch out and that "fixed" the problem. I finally found it when I was going to resort to spraying carb cleaner around the intake, and with the engine running at about 3500, I let the clutch out and the rpm dropped. Fooled me cuss the throttle still worked normally, just not with the clutch peddle pushed in. Never seen this one on any other postings, so here ya go.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the black hill forests of Germany, there live these pesky little gnomes, trolls, and other winged fairy creatures that sometimes hitch a ride on the boat over with the car to the States. Often times they do a Rumplestiltskin thing and take a long nap...only to awaken years later and start causing seemingly impossible things to happen to our cars. This would be one of them.

Glad you found the ellusive demon and banished the dude from your ride!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:12 PM
mcguff73
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks Mark. I can only guess that I tried a little too hard to beat the guy in the other lane. Still though, that part of the linkage looks like a major design flaw and I fixed it by just bending it back in place. I'm still looking for a throttle stop that would prevent this from happening again.

Quick Reply: follow-up to 4500 rpm idle