911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Considering a 930 Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:28 PM
MERIDIUS
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 930 Turbo...

Hello, I have been looking into getting a late 80's Porsche for use as a daily driver. I would prefer a 930 over a Carrera but I'm worried a 930 might be out of my price range. Can a decent 930 be had for $25K?

I was also wondering about maintenance on a 930... What are the big ticket items that usually pop up? How does it compare to a Carrera?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Noah930
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

In this economic climate, a decent driver 930 can be had for $25K. A really nice Carrera can be had for the same chunk of change. They're equally creature-uncomfortable for DD use. Most of us, here on this board, don't mind that part. But most of us are a bit crazy.

I don't think maintenance, in the 4 years I've had my car, has been onerous or costly. Electrical items are frequent, but usually they're fairly cheap DIY items. Seems like a bunch of us have had ignition coils/boxes go out. That may cost a few hundred dollars to fix.

These motors don't seem to last as long as N/A engines. Part of it must be the high heat and stress of turbocharging. Some of it is the modification/rebuild bug that gets a lot of us. Power corrupts, as they say. You can never have too much of it. But you'll see some N/A engines go 200-300K miles before a rebuild. I don't know of many turbo motors that have gone more than 100K before doing so. Again, I don't know if the turbo motors really wear out that quickly, or if owners just want to rebuild them for more power. A rebuild in a N/A car might run you 6-8K. A rebuild in a turbo motor (particularly because of the "while we're in there" syndrome) might run you two or three times that.

In the end, I have no regrets taking a turbo over a N/A car.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:28 AM
MERIDIUS
Rennlist Member

Thanks, that's great info. I'm not really into modding so I'm not too worried about going overboard on the upgrades. A stock car is good enough for me.

Now here's my main dilemma, would you sale an 02' M3 in order to buy an older 911? I enjoy the M3 but I'm just really into Porsche's. I don't mind a more raw driving experience- if anything, that's what I'm looking for. I don't need any cup holders or any of that nonsense.

I've talked to a few people and they all act like I'm crazy for wanting to exchange a fairly new M3 for an old 911... What are your thoughts?

I feel more reluctant to trade in for a Carrera but I think if I came across a reasonably priced 930 I wouldn't think twice about.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:29 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

In the long run, the Porsche will retain its value much better than the M3. Right now, you can find 01 M3s for under $20k. In 5 years, it'll probably be $10k.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:44 PM
SEW QUIK
Intermediate

I have direct experience with both these options. I had a 88 Carrera 3.2 which I drove daily (40 mile roundtrip commute) but I always had the Turbo bug, and finally bought a modified 78 930 after about 4 years. The turbo had been driven hard, modified (always a sign that it will be driven hard) and I wound up rebuilding the motor, and the gearbox and "while I was there" upgrading the intercooler, turbo, adding EFI and shorter gears 1-3. I now drive it to work when it is not raining, again about 40 miles roundtrip. I am into the turbo for about 50K over and above what I paid for it. As you stated, I like the more visceral driving experience of the Porsche and the turbo is a blast to drive. It is far more expensive to maintain than the normally aspirated car, and as it runs 440 fwhp, it generates more heat which leads to more failures of mechanical components over time. Does it put a smile on my face? Yes. Would I have been happy still driving my 3.2 Carerra? Probably, but the turbo puts a smile on my face every time I look at it, drive it or wash it. Hard to put a dollar value on that.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you are concerned about the cost of maintenance go with the 3.2 Carrera. The Turbo is a great car, love the flared fenders, whale tail, and how they feel when they are on boost. But major service intervals on Turbos were were about half that of a Carrera. So as a DD you will see far more servicings with the Turbo. Also due to higher temps and pressures Turbos engines are exposed to, some parts tend not to last as long. In addition, if you compare the type of Turbo you will get for $25K compared to a Carrera you can get for the same money, the Turbo will be in much rougher shape.

Each car is great but I think you will have a lower ownership cost experience with a Carrera.

Best regards,
Dino
Old 06-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Weissach911
Advanced

I have both, not sure you would be "happy" with a stock 930, and in a N/A car you can do a couple mods here and there, on a 930 you kind of have to go all-in as all the mods seem to be inter-related (i.e. upgraded turbo, intercooler, headers, muffler, adjustable WUR's, etc. )only takes a couple hits of the boost crack pipe and you're kind of screwed. . .and like Dino944 said, $25K for an N/A car vs. turbo may save you a bunch of money down the road, just my two cents
Old 06-09-2009, 07:20 PM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You can always take the middle road and get a factory Turbo Look. Carrera drivetrain with Turbo body and suspension.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 PM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 138 Likes on 104 Posts

I have both cars, an 88 turbo cab and a 76 targa (w/ up-graded 2.7 cast block). I really like both cars, however I put on about three times more miles in the turbo. There's just something about that turbo kicking in that makes you smile ear to ear and forgetting about all of the lag it took to get there.

If I were to go back and do it again, I would look at the 993 turbo, but then again, i have never sat in one.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:31 PM
MERIDIUS
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for all of the advice guys. This has really helped me narrow things down. I've actually been considering everything from early 912's and 911T's to 930's, 3.2 Carreras and 993's.

While I would prefer a 930 or 993 Carrera, it appears finding a good one would put me over my $25k budget.

A 3.2 Carrera strikes me the best car for my budget. The lower maintenance costs are definitely a big plus.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 56 Posts

There's a $25K 930 that someone found on Craigslist up in Alaska. Posted over on Pelican, in the turbo forum.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:51 AM
turbobooost
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF YOU REALLY PLAN TO DRIVE IT EVERY DAY,I WOULD NOT DO THE 930.IT WILL WEAR YOU OUT WITH THE TALL GEARING AND INSANE TURBO LAG IN TRAFFIC.. THE TURBO LOOK WOULD BE MY VOTE AND I HAVE OWNED THEM ALL..
Old 06-10-2009, 11:56 AM
wellcraft290
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts

I was looking at the 930 as well. Hard to find a nice one out there, but I went with a 91 C4. My C4 is just as fast as a stock 930 turbo and less maint still have the nice look of the lights. I did not go with a 993 just out of my price range and did not want to OBD2 issues that my friend is having now.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned both of the same year and I would put it like this. You can get yourself a real nice blow up woman that never complains and lets you do anything you want to her, as long as you keep air in her. Or you can have a wild hot blooded bitch that will slap you one minute and f**k your brains out the next. Sure the blow up one will be lower mantinence because you will not use her very often. And the other will require trinkets that she likes ever once in a while, to keep her happy, like a shiny new turbo or a header bracelet. Do you want docile obedience or tail of the tiger?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Dai
Intermediate

O.K. I will take the tail of the tiger. LOL

911rudy, that is the most funny description of what it like to own and drive a 930. Love it.

I have a friend who used to own a 87 Carrera and when he drove my 930, he immediately sold his Carrera and bought a 965 turbo. Turbo will give you the thrill that can only be experienced. Go out and test drive one to know what everybody have been talking about.

Quick Reply: Considering a 930 Turbo...