Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Recurring Stall and No-Start Issue...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:52 PM
Rob930
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recurring Stall and No-Start Issue...

Hey guys. I'm hoping you can help me trouble shoot a persistent problem that I am having with my '87 930. The car will die on me (stall) while driving and will not restart. However, after it sits for a couple of hours, it will start up no problem at all. The problem can occur 5 minutes into the drive or 30 minutes etc. Sometimes it will stutter before the stall and sometimes just cut-off. My wrench has been unable to get the problem to surface while at the shop, and so, has been unable to solve/fix it. He gave me a substitute ignition box, fuel relays, and alligator clip to jump the #6 fuse to try when it happened again. It happened again last night and none of these remedies worked. Any thoughts? I'm going to post on pelican, as well...
Old 05-26-2009, 12:19 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your wrench sounds like he's covered the basics. It can also come down to a wire that connects and disconnects, and it sounds heat related.

Check the yellow relay in back as well as the igntion cut off relay and over boost relay (by grounding it).
Old 05-26-2009, 08:57 AM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What is the behavior of your car if you try to restart it before a few hours are up?

Next time it dies you have to figure out if it's due to lack of spark, lack of fuel, or both. For spark you can pull one of the plugs, reconnect the plug wire, ground the plug and watch/listen for a spark as someone cranks the car. For fuel, and the 930 may be different than my SC, with the ignition on, you can push on the air meter plate and listen for injector whine, or can pull an injector, push on the plate, and see whether fuel comes out (obviously be careful with fuel spray, and don't do this long, so you avoid flooding the engine).

It kind of sounds like you have a fuel problem (sputtering before dying) but maybe it's your ignition switch, which is why I asked the first question.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Bruce Eyring
Advanced

Default car stalls

can you hear the fuel pumps run when you try to restart the car.....if you can't hear the pumps when you turn the key to the second position...you are not going anywhere. My '88 930 did the same thing....whould not restart...wait a hour or so...and started right up.. turned out to be the yellow relay in the engine area....Put in a new one ....no problem ever since.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:36 AM
W Wassell
AutoX

I can only share what worked for me under similar circumstances. In the rear fuse box area their is a yellow 1 x 1 x 2 cube, I replaced it under the guidance of Stephen Kaspar, since it was replaced I have had no issues of this nature…….hoping you find similar results !
Old 06-03-2009, 06:15 PM
P557M
6th Gear

check the temp sensor on the left side cam chain cover.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:19 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem but it was debris in the fuel tank. It was totally unpridictable when it would happen and sometimes it would re-start in one minute or 30. I believe it was the type debris that was almost floatable and was only a problem when it came near the intake for the fuel line. It could even be moisture in the fuel tank. It wouldn't hurt to put a can of tank cleaner in it.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was the CD unit. Intermitant spark, About 400 for aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Recurring Stall and No-Start Issue...