911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Imagineauto headers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 06:00 PM
red9thirty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Imagineauto headers?

I'm doing my due dilligence (by trying to keep price in check) and I'm researching parts and prices. Imagineauto bundles "custom headers" in with their stage 2 930 tuning program. Anyone with these please chime in and give me your feedback? I'll be checking my PM's, as well. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:24 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by red9thirty
I'm doing my due dilligence (by trying to keep price in check) and I'm researching parts and prices. Imagineauto bundles "custom headers" in with their stage 2 930 tuning program. Anyone with these please chime in and give me your feedback? I'll be checking my PM's, as well. Thank you.
Just ask Stephen what brand the headers are, or who is making them, or who is supplying them to him. Imagine Auto is a distributor for many porsche related parts and they will probably let you know where the headers come from.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Stephen would not sell you crap.

From my experience the ones to get are B&B. I have a custom set on my car. Custom in my case means the primary tubing is a larger diameter to match my larger exhaust ports. My engine started as a 3.6NA. The 3.6 Turbo actually has smaller exhaust ports so the 3.6 Turbo headers didn't work.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:06 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say get GHL, but I think they have shut down as of late. Warranty and service were great.

I've not heard good things about B&B, but maybe they have gotten better?

In any event, Stephen is a good guy to deal with as Peter said and will back up what ever you buy.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:17 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

I had the opposite experience. I has 2 sets of GHL headers and had trouble with them cracking. They did fix them once under warranty but then they cracked again.

The GHL secondary tubing was too small. The heat would build up in the secondaries and crack the joint. You could see the color of the tubing get blacker and blacker as you got closer to the Turbo. B&Bs do not have this problem.

The B&Bs do crack where the heater box is tack welded to the primaries. But at least they flow properly. Neither model supports the wastegate weight sufficiently. I had them reinforced and have not had any more problems.

Again, mine are custom with larger tubing throughout.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:22 AM
DDD
Pro

Now that I think about it Stephen mentioned that he now uses Fabspeed headers in his builds, at least I think that was the brand he mentioned. He said so just a few months ago so it is a pretty good chance that is what it is.

The picture of the headers he showed was really cool. They looked more stylish than B+Bs but the same idea.

Again this is all from memory, I don't have a link.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:25 AM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine were stock, although I had them install a larger wastegate pipe since I was using a K27HFS and didn't want to overboost with the smaller pipe.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:37 AM
Peter Carroll/Toronto
Racer

Also, be careful the material they use. T304 stainless steel is good for normally aspirated cars but will disintegrate fast on a Turbo if used on the track. You need T321. Even T321 is not the best, But it's the best we can afford.

Fabspeed from their web site says they are T304. I would pass on those for the track. B&B is T321. And you have a choice of tubing size.

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/930/

Every time I try to save money I hurt myself...

Quick Reply: Imagineauto headers?