Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

has anybody found a clear bra kit for 930's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:39 AM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default has anybody found a clear bra kit for 930's?

If so, what brand makes it?
Thank you guys,
Miguel
Old 02-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of people out there selling kits for late model 911's, but I haven't seen one specific to a 930. You could always make you own with the material (3M) readily available. Here's one web site that claims to have templates for the 911 turbo (which years, who knows?). Might want to give them a call.
http://www.clearbramn.com/porsche_clear_bra_mn.htm
Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Search on the 964t forum. Anthony (cobalt) knows all about this stuff.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:51 PM
57_300SL
Intermediate

Try XPEL. Great product, great company. Sponsored Grand Am last year and was used on many of the cars. I have both the clear bra and headlight protection on my wife's '89 930. They do make a kit for the 930. May have to call them as I do not see it in their online store. Better yet, they seem to have some installers in the Pittsburgh area you may want to check out. All dealers have access to all of their templates.

Todd
Old 02-03-2009, 05:28 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 57_300SL
Try XPEL. Great product, great company. Sponsored Grand Am last year and was used on many of the cars. I have both the clear bra and headlight protection on my wife's '89 930. They do make a kit for the 930. May have to call them as I do not see it in their online store. Better yet, they seem to have some installers in the Pittsburgh area you may want to check out. All dealers have access to all of their templates.

Todd
Thanks for that, Todd. I checked their web site and came up with a fit for my87 930 (well, they list it as a 911 turbo). Two different kits for Hood/fender/mirrors and rear wheel well guards, very reasonably priced (they also have a front bumper kit listed for SC's and Carreras that may work for the 930, who knows?) https://www.xpel.com/products/paint_...&submodel=1532
Did you attempt your own installation? Any feelings on how easily this can be removed and any risk of paint damage?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:45 PM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks guys, I just wish they covered the fenders too...

and a larger piece of hood.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:54 AM
57_300SL
Intermediate

I have done the install. It takes time and patience, proper tools and a place to work indoors (and, this time of year in Pittsburgh, warm enough to get the car's surface temp to at least room temp.). In the Support area of XPEL's website, there are instructions and instructional videos available to assist in the process.
I have installed a couple of the clear bra kits and this is not a 3M film and seemed easier then the 3M product to work with. EXPEL has a patent on the film. My understanding is that only they and 3M have patents on this type of product. With that said, if you are looking for a perfect job, and you don't mind paying the installer's prices, I would recommend looking into having it professionally done. Otherwise, I am satisfied with the way mine came out. As for taking it off, my understanding is that it will come off without damaging the paint in any way. I have not taken any off yet so I can not speak from first hand experience.
Also, I would recommend using their headlight protection product, especially if doing any track events. It is 30 mil (I think) and provides cheap insurance for 930 glass headlights and fog lights. I can say that from experience.

Todd
Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

I think I'll place an order with them. The price is right, and I don't think I'll have any problem with the installation. I've been running with a black bra, which looks good against the white paint (nice contrast) but it's a pain when it comes time to wash her, since I don't want water trapped beneath the bra to corrode the paint. It fits nice and tight, so no flapping around, but still...would be nice to have the protection without detracting from the car as it was made to be seen.
I'll report back when all is completed.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Bernard
Pro

I have Xpel on mine. I had a custom cut for the front bumper.

Oh, free plug My 930 is for sale

Old 02-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Just received mine in the mail yesterday. Manufactured by XPEL, distrubuted by some outfit in Florida (PM me if you want the source). Price was good (30% less than XPEL's quote on their web site), came with squeegee, written, and DVD instructions. Should be a snap to put on (well, I guess I'll find out soon enough).
Depending on how it goes, I may end up ordering some bulk film to custom cut my own pieces for the bumper, since the kit was only for the hood and fender fronts, plus I ordered the headlamp/foglamp/turn signals kit (see XPEL's web site for a drawing of the coverage).

Quick Reply: has anybody found a clear bra kit for 930's?