911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Transmission won't go into 2nd gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 02:12 PM
JFairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I doubt it.
I've never graunched 2nd gear, and there was nothing on the magnetic drainplug when I drained the gearbox oil this time or the 2 times before that over the last few years..

First car I ever had with a manaul transmission was a '72 BMW 2002 back in 1979 and the synchros and the course output shaft flange splines were completely worn out in that car when I got it so I learned to match rev double clutch on downshifts from the start and I've always done it since.

It doesn't feel right if I don't and it's better for the transmission because you're not using up the synchros to spin up the entire gearset, input shaft, and clutch disc on downshifts.

It's working great now and the weltmeister short shifter feels the best it ever has because I moly greased and replaced the cup and shaft bushings and snugged up the allen head pivot adjutment in the shifter and made new tight fitting bushings for the shift coupler in back out of two 5/8" long sections of AC barrier hose pressed in.

I guess you just have to take these cars up to around 140mph every now and then to keep them running right or they get an attitude...

Quick Reply: Transmission won't go into 2nd gear