911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

1976 930 Values

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 PM
brooks944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1976 930 Values

I recently saw a 911 sitting behind a local body shop and checked it out (barely) on Saturday. Below are the few details I was able to get, any guess on approximate values (yes I know the engine repair is expensive)?

-1976 car with 123,XXX miles showing
-Engine removed but told it's a turbo (available but I haven't seen it yet) - I checked the year on the drivers side door, but didn't know to look for 930 as the first 3 digits of the VIN until now
-Painted yellow and apparently with some body kit - looks like an AIR rear spoiler, some of the front valence was peeling, no other visible exterior problems (based on the short time)
-Ruf/Speedline wheels and some Ruf markings inside
-Interior looked good for a short check, Momo wheel and shift ****, RS style door panels, white faced guages

Here's a picture of the drivers side:

Thanks in advance
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2008, 03:05 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 334 Likes on 155 Posts

These early turbo cars are purely subjective. Some folks think they are worth more as they launched the 911 forward into Supercar territory and they are VERY rare now, also they are very light compared to the post '79 cars. Some people think they are worth less as they had the inferior brakes (911S), non-intercooled motors and also the smaller engine 3.0L.

So it all depends.

My guess, without seeing pics. If it needs minor body work AND a full engine rebuild (presuming the tranny is fine), I would offer no more than $5-6K for the car (and thats pushing it). You can get a really nice sorted '80s 930 for the early $20K mark, so use that as your reference.

How much $$$ do you want to pour into this car, how much of a project do you want? It all comes down to time, money and your own personal abilities to do the work at home and save $$$, otherwise prepare to spent $50 - $75 per hour for an independent shop to do the repairs.

My frame of mine, you can do all the work at home, screw it up 2-3 times and probaby still come out ahead...LOL!

*Edit* ---> I am adding to my original post based on that photograph you included. At some point someone spent alot of money on that car it has period correct RUF 17" wheels (which are not cheap especially when you include tires). Some one also converted the car to look like the '90-'94 964\965 look - bumpers, lights and it also has the Aero mirrors (replacing the factory flag mirrors). And as you noted the body kit. So I am back at the $6K mark, if the interior is in good shape, no cracks on the dash and the tranny is fine.

Good luck if you decide to pull the trigger. The market to your benefit is soft..so haggle away!
Yasin
Old 12-28-2008, 04:56 PM
brooks944
Instructor

Thanks, I appreciate the comments and advice from the 930 experts!
Old 12-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Akila
Intermediate

Sold my Brothers 77' early this year, had 44xxx original miles. I hear it went to Europe. Sold for about $24k IIRC
Old 12-30-2008, 12:55 PM
DDD
Pro

I agree that the car is worth maybe 5 grand, but seeing it sit in the rain makes me wonder if it has any value at this point. Very subjective. How long has it been out in the elements? You could spend a small fortune just on replacing rubber trim pieces depending on condition.

I would just buy a nicer one that is whole. These cars are much more expensive in parts than to buy them whole. You would spend a fortune getting this car back on the road no matter how you look at it, without even factoring in the major pain in your bottom it would be.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:55 PM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RUF wheels could be worth $1500+

I really like the Yellowbird look!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:50 AM
CrAzYcArGuY
Instructor

Yeah I could use some $1,500 RUF wheels now.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

From a value perspective, I don't think the car depicted has much going for it.

The early 930s are "better" because they're the original 911 Turbo, and are lighter than later cars. That's what they've got going for them from a collector (meaning $$$) standpoint, as Yasin pointed out. But for a collector to value a car, it's got to be original. And as Yasin also pointed out, just from the outside, there's a lot of not-as-it-rolled-off-the Stuttgart-assembly-line in that yellow machine. Who knows what's gone on with the original motor/tranny? It's no longer an original 1976 car; it's a 1976 that's been taken apart and the original parts are probably no longer around, anymore. Well, around, but probably not accounted for, at least.

So if you're interested in buying this 930 for its specific 1976 collector lineage, I'd say this car is a terrible candidate. If you're considering a 930, and this happens to be a car that interests you because it represents a project and opportunity, then I'd side with that $5K estimate to purchase it in as-is condition. But if you want a 930 to drive around, then I'd go with a running example in the $25-35K range. Lot less headache, like DDD says.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:57 AM
brooks944
Instructor

I was able to further check the car out and it isn't an original turbo. Based on the VIN, it was a '76 911S. The motor was an S motor but did have a turbo, so it likes someone added a turbo later and blew it. The interior looked to be recently redone, but the body kit needs work (from what I can tell it's an AIR 993 Turbo kit). So I'm thinking it's worth only $2500 max, thoughts?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:05 PM
DDD
Pro

Originally Posted by brooks944
I was able to further check the car out and it isn't an original turbo. Based on the VIN, it was a '76 911S. The motor was an S motor but did have a turbo, so it likes someone added a turbo later and blew it. The interior looked to be recently redone, but the body kit needs work (from what I can tell it's an AIR 993 Turbo kit). So I'm thinking it's worth only $2500 max, thoughts?
Please explain to us what you intend to do with the car? You really need a very specific plan before you buy a project car like this. Otherwise you will waste a year and a ton of money and realize one day that you started with the wrong project car in the first place.

Yes, the car is probably worth 2,500-3,500 grand to a really committed owner who knows exactly what he is planning on doing with it.

To a casual buyer who will lose interest half way through a costly two or three year restoration, it probably has no value and will be a money pit with no chance of resell value.

The car is not a 1976 911S anymore. It is not a 1976 930. It is not a 993. What are you planning on turning it into?

The best thing to do with this particular car would be build it with a track car mentality. As far as a collector car or concours car or daily driver or anything else it is pretty much shot already, I would guess. Clearly it has been put out to pasture after a hard life.

If you just plain want a project and are not intimidated by the extremely high cost of virtually every part on an old Porsche, and can do all the labor cheap, than go for it.

You could probably part the car out to get your money back at least.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 AM
brooks944
Instructor

Turning this into an autocross car/sometime daily driver is what I was thinking. There are a couple of local PCA members with similar year 911's with later engines (3.2 or 3.6 I believe) and they are very quick. Restoration to a concours level 911S would cost way more than it would ever be worth (now if it really was a 930...).

Thanks to everyone for input and advice.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Noah930
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 61 Posts

Even restoration to a concours level 930 would likely cost more than it would be worth.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 PM
DDD
Pro

Okay it sounds like you have a reason to restore the car (autocrossing), so yeah this car is a good launching point if you check a couple things.

Mainly you want to make sure that the car has no rust problems, especially with the rear of the car sitting in the rain (car should be pretty rust proof but still check) and you want to make sure the frame is straight and the car has not been hit.

The way to check for accidents is to look at the front and rear bumper shock mounts to see if they have been heated and bent back into place.

Look for any signs of warping or irregularity in the engine bay (accident damage) and if it is at all possible have the frame measured for straightness.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:08 PM
brooks944
Instructor

Thanks DDD, I'll keep your message for things to check. Appreciate the help.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:09 AM
davszabo
2nd Gear

Hi, I'm new on this site and also in Porsche's world.
I need some help to have the right solution to buy my 911. I saw a 911 sc 1979 with 179hp in a good condition, but I want more power from this car. Is there any good way to tune this car or should I look after a 911 turbo. It will be good if the car has 300hp.
I live in Hungary(europe) so I have less opportunity than others to find a nice car.
Thank you in advance
David Szabo

Here is a link about the SC:

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sh...e&pageNumber=2

Quick Reply: 1976 930 Values