911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Aux Air Valve and Thermo Time Valve

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Handy930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux Air Valve and Thermo Time Valve

My 79' 930 was delivered in California trim. The air pump and associated parts including the EGR have been removed. Still have the thermo time valves for the distributor retard/advance and the AAV. Will the distributor on the California engine work if I bypass the retard and use the TTV to advance timing on cold start and set the timing to USA spec (10 degrees ATDC)? Also I am not sure how the AAV works on the USA verus the California system. The USA system does not utilize a TTV to apply vacuum. If I bypass or disconnect the TTV for the AAV will it function the same as a USA system that doesn't use a TTV?
Appreciate any and all advise.

Last edited by Handy930; 12-20-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: used the wrong abreviation for the Auxiliary Air Valve
Old 12-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Handy930
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on my post

On further checking I find the AAV does not open with vacuum applied. Could the regulator be stuck? I guess I don't understand the function of the AAV or how it is suppose to work in conjunction with the AAR either on a California engine or a USA version. Unless someone can expand this system, I will just try to eliminate the AAV thermo valve and do the same with the vacuum advance and set the idle timing to the USA spec of 10 ATDC and see how it runs.

Quick Reply: Aux Air Valve and Thermo Time Valve