911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

New Porsche Owner!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 04:56 PM
tarheelturbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Porsche Owner!!!

Hey everyone on the board.. i am new to the board as well as of a few days ago a first time porsche owner. And i jumped in head first with the baddest porsche a 930 turbo.. its an 84' euro car. with 27,000 original miles, with a freshly rebuilt motor and transmission, and almost everytrack goody you can think of.. the previous owner said shes good for 400hp at 1bar, and 500hp at 1.5 bar.. i guess
i'll post pics this weekend.
i've already driven it back from new jersey to north carolina, and i love the car tremendously!! i can't wait to get her out on the track and really explore her potential. and i don't know how many of the cars do this.. but i'm addicted to the 3ft flames she shoots when i let off the throttle under full boost

anyways glad to be a part of this amazing community!!!

Last edited by tarheelturbo; 10-13-2008 at 12:10 PM. Reason: PICS PICS PICS
Old 10-09-2008, 05:22 PM
Olli
Racer

Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new car. Looking forward to the pictures and more details. Where in NC are you located?
Re: the 1.5 bar of boost giving 500 hp - I would NOT try that, it gets expensive after a while
Old 10-09-2008, 05:52 PM
tarheelturbo
Advanced

haha, ok i'll try to stay off the boost, it has a manual boost controller under the dash, i've dut it up a few psi a couple of times, it gets insanely fast, i'm pretty sure the build has been done well enough to hand some extra boost, the guy told me 1bar is the minimum he would run, but it should be fine with it cut up, i'll definatly keep it at 1bar for the track, prolly not good for wear up higher.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:54 PM
DDD
Pro

Welcome!

We always bug new owners until they post pictures, so you have been warned!

Please have your car checked out by a Porsche guy locally to figure out what your set up is before running the boost above 1 bar. In fact just leave it at 1 bar.

You want to check your exact air to fuel ratios as soon as possible to make sure your engine is running properly under boost.

This is standard advise but very important!

Did I mention 'welcome'!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Welcome aboard.

Maybe you can tell us what was done to your car when you know all about it.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:08 PM
DDD
Pro

Just another thought:

If you have a receipt for the engine build, can you share the details? The reason I ask is that we can pretty much tell you what boost is actually safe to run. Or ask your shop, based on the engine build info.

I have never heard of anyone running 1.5 bar on any 930 engine build. I think people here will be able to give you good advise about your build.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:31 PM
tarheelturbo
Advanced

ok... i'll try to post some more details of the build, ive spent some time talking with lynmor motorsports out of long island new york that built the car, they have helped me get a good feel for things, definatly alot to learn though!! this car is so different than anything else i have owned in the past.
the car has an air fuel gauge in it, that reads all the way rich under full throttle, and well into the rich anytime there's much throttle at all. i'm not trying to sound like i know it all because i don't.
i will be happy to post all the details i can find, i have every receipt from the performance shop since 02' i'll see what i can dig up!!
thanks again for the welcome
Old 10-09-2008, 10:33 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the board.

1.5 is a lot of boost. If you want your engine to live a long time, I'd go no higher than 1 bar and that's with a good intercooler and a proper AF ratio.

Don't forget the pics...
Old 10-10-2008, 02:28 AM
Guns951
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PICS!!!!!!!!!!

And yeah everyone is correct on the 1 bar thing...I've been advised against it for frequent use, but under the right conditions its okay as long as you can afford mentally and monitarily to rebuild it right after you dial it up.

Welcome to the board, you'll have to accompany us on the Tail of the Dragon run in early December since you're in NC.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:43 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I join with the others in welcoming you to the 930 ownership and this forum. As "warned" numerous times, turning up the boost to shoot three foot flames can be fun and great for show and tell....but it can also end up costing you a LOT of money. I too am interested in seeing the build sheet or at least the specs. Pictures are a must or you'll be banned. (not really )
Old 10-10-2008, 04:05 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where's the pics?
Old 10-10-2008, 04:11 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I join with the others in welcoming you to the 930 ownership and this forum. As "warned" numerous times, turning up the boost to shoot three foot flames can be fun and great for show and tell....but it can also end up costing you a LOT of money. I too am interested in seeing the build sheet or at least the specs. Pictures are a must or you'll be banned. (not really )
Oh man, I love shooting flames with my 86 turbo! However, it is running rich @ 1 bar.

And yes, pics are a must for a new forum user.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:08 AM
tarheelturbo
Advanced

haha, thanks again for all the welcome!! wow, you guys really have me worried about boost, now i'm afraid my car is fragile.. well i haven't cranked it up to 1.5bar, i turned it some and saw maybe 18-19psi, but i've left it alone around 1bar, seems to run best though just a little over anyways...
that brings up a question of mine, if i wanted to run more boost safer, is there any objection to running methanol injection?? seems like a logical step to keep the car from running lean or hott?
about the flames, it does that all the time.. doesn't matter what boost i'm running, i think its because its running rich like the other guy said,
on a bad news note, not sure when i'll be driving the car too far in the near future, theres hardly any premuim gas to be found anywhere around here!!!!
i will get some pics today, i mean its just a black 930 slammed on fikses .. i don't see what all the fuss is about ! hehehe... jk!!
Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't go above 1 bar as it is a risky proposition. Sure the added power is there and it can be fun, but you lean out your motor and that is a $20k+ rebuild. I look at is as a cost-benefit analysis. $20k+ is not worth the extra boost.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:48 AM
tarheelturbo
Advanced

guns951-
i went through your build thread the other day!! and it is amazing! what a sick car.. i mean sick sick sick!! haha i wanted to ask you though, i want to put together a long term plan for my 930, and i'm thinking the goal is the ultimate single turbo, first i'm gonna go ahead and upgrade to big reds, right now its on stock calipers upgraded rotors and track pads, and then i want to go to a coilover setup, i would like some direction there, i'm not sure who to use or what to look for, or what i should plan on spending, i'm guessing its gonna be 5-7k? but i don't know.. then down the road i want to redo the motor again, i'm thinking i want to do a 3.6 stroker should i go with a crank out of another porsche? or an aftermarket crank?. with upgraded pistons probably higher compression turbo pistons,and upgraded rods i don't know if i need new heads, the ones i have have a 3angle valve job done to them, the cams are sc grind cams on it now, but i would probably go a little more agressive, i figure it would be ok considering the added torque and powerband of the larger discplacement, but i'm not sure which i would do. or what is the best
i would like to put a more modernized turbo on it but i'm not sure what the best choice is, right now its got an upgraded k27 turbo on it, but not i'm sure which trim
i really don't know what kind of power i can expect, which brings me to the biggest mystery about the build, what can i get and stay CIS?? can i upgraded the system and support a 500-550hp car? or if i'm going to go to the trouble of building a bullet proof motor do i have to feed it with EFI? and who do you go with? i wouldn't have any interest in taking it to anyone but the best professionals .. anyways i'm just trying to learn about everything, i like to have a plan, and in the meantime i can't wait to get the car out on the track and use it the way it was designed to be used be the previous owner and builder.

AGAIN guys sorry i don't already ahve pics, we are having some less than favorable weather down here in NC.. its been misty and rainy for 2 days, i had to take the car out yesterday i couldn't help it. hahaha
oh and btw i'm located in kernersville, its inbetween winston salem and greensboro...
is it a rennlist groupe thats going to the dragon in dec?? or a PCA group?? i would love to come, i finally have a car that will shine on the dragon and it will be my frist trip out there... !!

Quick Reply: New Porsche Owner!!!