P/N# ?? K&N round air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:14 PM
fullquack
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default P/N# ?? K&N round air filter

Hello gents,
Anybody know the part number for the K&N round air filter to replace the entire steel air box on a C.I.S. 930?
The style that has the hose clamp base that fits right over the intake. I'm not talking about the plastic air snout & fitler kit that sells for $400 clams.
Mark
Old 09-25-2008, 04:41 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fullquack
Hello gents,
Anybody know the part number for the K&N round air filter to replace the entire steel air box on a C.I.S. 930?
The style that has the hose clamp base that fits right over the intake. I'm not talking about the plastic air snout & fitler kit that sells for $400 clams.
Mark
Except for the price, I was at one time tempted to purchase that aftermarket kit. Claimed HP increases are probably bogus. So, instead, I picked up a used stock aircleaner box for dirt cheap, chopped off the end and modified it to accept a round K&N. Functions and looks just like the $400 kit. Now, hang on for the plethora of responses regarding the efficacy of K&N vs. the stock filter!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 PM
fullquack
Racer

I never bought into the claimed 28hp increase either. I just want to get more working room & clean-up the engine bay.
Plus the hassle of getting those 2 small 10mm bolts down through the top of the stock air cleaner & into their respctive holes just grates on my nerves! I unfortunatly have the patience of a gnat.
Mark
Old 09-25-2008, 08:06 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's actually a BMC filter kit; you can find it at Imagine Auto...
Old 09-25-2008, 11:02 PM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing that Mark did and it opens up the entire left side of the engine. It wasn't hard and I used the piece that I cut off to make the end piece. I found the round filter holder on ebay under turbo.
PS
By using the original housing
it eliminated the oily film
problem. You might have a rain problem
but you could ad a small roof to
filter. I don't drive much in the rain
so it hasn't come up.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2008, 01:49 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

This is a copy of my old post from the other forum:

Go to AutoZone, get their chrome open element air filter. It comes with a filter,chrome top and chrome bottom for use on a carburated vehicles. Throw away the bottom, plug the top center hole on the chrome lid (I used a dime epoxied there and it fits perfect) and drill 2 holes that line up with the 930's original air box mounting holes. Mount it and you're ready to go. The entire replacement takes 15 minutes.

If you want to, later get a taller K&N filter to maximize flow. They sell, them pon their site by size. Measure the paper filter and your clearance and get the appropriate size. Depending on if you want to cut some of the engine sound pad you can get about a 4" tall filter in there. I think mine is about 31/2" tall. If you get the taller filter you need to get new, longer bolts...Home Depot has them. Make sure you get fine threaded ones. I used the 3720 filter but I think the 3317 might fit btter it is just slightly thinner so it won't hit the fuel adjustment screw. Measure it and go here fro the appropriate K&N http://www.knfilters.com/search/univ2.aspx?ID=S0001

Total cost $15 or about $35 if you get the K&N
Old 09-26-2008, 05:59 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Originally Posted by fullquack
I never bought into the claimed 28hp increase either.
Mark
Stephen Kaspar of IA suggests that 8 overall and 13 peak bhp is the increase.

Quick Reply: P/N# ?? K&N round air filter