Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Headlight removal

How to do it? Found this page: https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-964-1989-1994-911/197272-how-to-clean-your-headlights.html

But I am stuck at step one. I do not have a screw on the bottom of the metal ring -- it appears to just be a drain hole. I slid a small screwdriver in there to see if there was a small screw further in, but it doesn't seem so.

Am I missing something big?? Generally I'd just dive in and rip stuff apart, but with the 930 I like to be very meticulous and have directions/instructions.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 09-13-2008, 01:46 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Any pics? Every one I've seen has the screw.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Nevermind. The painted ring comes off and then the screw is under there. You have to gently pry off the painted ring... seems odd but that's what this diagram shows the proper installation is.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:10 PM
JFairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that screw is supposed to go through the optional trim ring first and then the main one. Otherwise wind and vibration would probably lead to it flying off.

The diagram is probably showing it that way because the outer trim ring is an option and not necessary for the installation.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by JFairman
I think that screw is supposed to go through the optional trim ring first and then the main one. Otherwise wind and vibration would probably lead to it flying off.

The diagram is probably showing it that way because the outer trim ring is an option and not necessary for the installation.
I think you are probably correct. The person who last installed mine did not do it that way though. Fortunately no flying rings. They were HARD to pry off.

-M
Old 09-14-2008, 11:44 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by JFairman

UPDATE:

Interesting enough, when I went to reinstall everything, that screw would NOT work if it went through the painted cover. It only went through the initial cover, and then the painted cover snaps neatly and securely over the top. Maybe I should track down a different screw that will go through both. The ones I have have a little ledge around the head of the screw that stops it from going through the painted ring.

Anyway, got new H4 bulbs in and they are nice and bright. Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: Headlight removal