Wheel bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 03:44 PM
vascott99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel bearing replacement

All....

I am about to try to replace one front and one back wheel bearing...I tried to do a search here and came up with nothing as to people having difficulties or tips...

I have read Pelican's guide and of course seems like this will go easy..(NOT!!)
Purchased an extra set just in case everything does go smoothly and will replace the other two...or use them if I screw up.

Have any of you performed this on an older 930 and would like to provide some much needed advice before I embark on a mission...Starting here shortly...as I am scheduled for 2 days at the track in Nov

Thanks again all
Old 09-04-2008, 11:33 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fronts are easy. If you have a manual, follow the procedure for tightening the locking iamb nut. Don't forget new seals.

Haven't done the rears, but there has been several threads on god to do it.

Try to do all in pairs and one side at a time.

BTW. What makes you want to change them out?
Old 09-05-2008, 09:42 AM
vascott99
Instructor

My last Tech inspection..The guys showed me that I have some very small movement with one in the front and one in the back...Tried to retorque the main nut and still did not help...

I am not at the point of critical need...but I am going to the track in Nov and do not want any possibility of doing any real damage. Purchased all that I need x2 just in case...If all goes well then I will just do all of them...First resolve the ones I need to do first...
Old 09-14-2008, 02:07 PM
NeverL8
Rennlist Member

Suscribing, I am about to embark on the same job. I have found a lot of info on the front, and it doesn't seem particularily hard. But the two bearing rears sound much more difficult. Hope other will chime in as the 930 rear set-up is different than most all of the posts I have found with 911's.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
vascott99
Instructor

Apparently this tool helps BIG time..Unless you by the $200.00 tool. I found this on Pelican. They reccomend 3/4" threaded rod over the 1/2"..I have yet to start...Busy weekends so far
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2008, 10:01 PM
NeverL8
Rennlist Member

Scott,

The thread you have referenced above is for the 911 not the turbo. The turbo has two tapered bearings, 2 seals and the spacer in between. The 911 procedure you referenced is for the one roller type bearing that is used in that application. By all accounts that I have read, the 930 rear bearing replacement is the mother of all jobs from hell. A good thread was found here. Basically do a search for "rear wheel bearing 930" in the 930 section only and you will find some good posts.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...el+bearing+930
Old 09-18-2008, 10:37 AM
blown daytona
Intermediate

The fronts are easy. The rears are much more difficult. I did one rear on mine, but I own a repair shop and have a tool kit called a "hub tamer". It is a purpose built bearing removal & replacement tool. I was impressed with the post by vascott99. That will do the same thing (although diameter sizes may be different between 911 & 930). That is real creative thinking at work!!! You will need to remove the rear axle, caliper & rotor. Try to press the bearing with the home made tool, or if you can borrow a hub tamer kit, on the car. The only other way to do it, is remove the control arm and use an axle press. But this requires much more work. I did mine in about 1.5 hours (but I do this for a living) Good luck
Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 PM
D
Instructor

How do you tell if the bearings are failing?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:58 PM
blown daytona
Intermediate

noise and excessive play
Old 09-21-2008, 01:37 PM
e170drvr
AutoX

Rear bearings are next on my list, Just to clarify, the hub tamer will work on 930s, or just the 911? I have been trying to figure out the best way to do the job. Looks like I will need to do it myself, since I don't have a shop near me. It looks like the kit costs around $300, I figure I would pay that much if I had a shop do it. Do I need anything else to do the job?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 PM
blown daytona
Intermediate

I cant remember if I needed anything else (it was a couple of years ago) I only remember it went smooth. Minimal cussing If you have time to do it over a couple of days, I would try to improvise between making a tool as shown in an earlier post or using 3/4" drive sockets & extension with a hamer to drive the bearings in & out. Just have to be careful what you are hitting. You may also need a press if the bearing races get stuck on the stub axle. Sorry my memory isnt better on this one.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing replacement