Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

wont start after sits for 1 hour

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:25 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Correct, it holds pressure to the head so that the head does not vapor lock if you will. The accumlator is a diaphragm in the middle that will actually tear in time. The back up to that is a check valve in the front pump. It is suppose to be a fail safe but really is not. When it bleeds down it simply equalizes back in the tank causing the head to vapor lock.

No it can not.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:42 AM
miguel antonetti
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A different way to look at it = it could be air lock in the system due to vapor - generated by heat - in the lines. vapor will create pockets allowing fuel NOT to flow or the pumps NOT to pump. Until it cools and goes back to liquid...

How often do you use the car?

Have you accumulated in the tank lots of "old fuel"?

Do you use high content of oxigeneted/alcohol content gas?

I would try getting rid of the fuel in the tank, put in a fresh half a tank add Techron (at least twice the recommneded concentration) and go for a hard drive to "flush" and clean the system. It worked for me while back.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:07 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

These are all excellent suggestions, the test here is to simply check the pressure after shut off and 20 minutes.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 AM
JFairman
Racer

If you unplug the green plug from the back of the air flow metering plate the fuel pumps will come on with the ignition switch in the on position before cranking the starter motor. You can even hear the sound of the pumps change as fuel pressure rises.

If you do that and pause it there for a 3-5 seconds it would pressurize the system and make the engine start faster if the accumulator or fuel pump check valve is letting residual fuel pressure leak down after running.

Try that, it's a real simple check and all you have to do is unplug that green plug so the pumps come on before you turn the key to start.

If fuel is vaporized in the injector lines and parts of the fuel head it will still take some cranking to start, and if the car is flooded out with gas from leaking injectors it will still be hard to start but you should see a little black smoke in the exhaust from the rich mixture burning off as it chuggs to life.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:54 PM
CSquared2k
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How difficult is it to replace the accumulator? Is it a DYI or should I pay the man? I am having the same problem.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:44 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

No different to changing the fuel filter.
Old 08-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In other words, a pain in the neck 'cause it's packed way back there. I should have replaced mine when I last had the engine out. But it really isn't givning me any serious problems, so I'll just live with it.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 PM
CSquared2k
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks I will give it a try this week.
Old 08-26-2008, 12:36 AM
ferraripete
Racer

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Check the pressures and tell me what they are in the first 20 minutes of shut down. This sounds like an accumulator and check valve or one or the other. Normally the accumulator. The car will not start hot because as some mentioned the fuel head looses pressure from the fuel evaporating. The car cools and while there may be no pressure the cold start injector fires fuel around the head in the intake. The car starts because of the injector, the plate goes down because there is flow and pressure builds up in the head. This is the reason some cars with this issue sound like they are coming in one cylinder at a time. As the fuel makes it way to each chamber the cylinder lights up and runs off the head..

Long and short, I would be money it is a fuel accumulator. Common issue.
stephen...this is what my car is doing. you have described it perfectly. do you have the accumulator in stock and how much does it cost?

best,

peter
Old 08-26-2008, 10:01 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I should but don't know what the cost is here at home. You can drop me a call or Jermey and we can look it up for you.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:27 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

My '87 exhibits exactly this scenario. I've successfully lived 'around' it day in day out for months on end by...

...matting the loud pedal prior to and while cranking and it fires right up always - yeah - usually one cyl. @ a time 8-).

Works for me, for 'now'. I've long suspected the accumulator too but will do this until it no longer is effective - maybe never?

HTH, good luck.

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.com
Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Paul, you are doing this to avoid changing the accumulator, WHY? It can't be good for the car. If I remember you have a primer switch in the car right, probably hooked up to the lead going to the back of the fuel distributor which allows the pumps to run without the engine running, I honesty don't understand why you don't just get it fixed, it's not even a big job

Originally Posted by pkrasusky
My '87 exhibits exactly this scenario. I've successfully lived 'around' it day in day out for months on end by...

...matting the loud pedal prior to and while cranking and it fires right up always - yeah - usually one cyl. @ a time 8-).

Works for me, for 'now'. I've long suspected the accumulator too but will do this until it no longer is effective - maybe never?

HTH, good luck.

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.com
Old 08-28-2008, 04:12 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Spot on JBL, good memory. I do appreciate your thoughts.

Why not?

I have 3 toys, a wife, her truck, house, and 3 youngins 8-). Oh and this ginormous event I throw every year (stay tooned). Sorta keeps my time / resources ahem 'occupied' unfort.

Yeah yeah I know, *hella lame* excuses but hey it's my reality. I will test / replace the accumulator maybe next summer but for an 'occassional car', for now - this works. Was just trying to help others nurse it along.

How exactly is it ungood for it though - querious. It starts right up as such, no laboring, etc. and I do not use the primer ever (PO install).

Again, appreciate the input / concern, despite me pigheadedness - truly.

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com
Old 08-29-2008, 05:25 AM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

I don't honestly know how it would be bad for the car, i just had visions of you cranking the engine over for ages with one cylinder firing, then the next, and it eventually chugging to life. Other than it putting unnecessary strain on the starter and battery and possibly fouling the plugs i'm not sure. It just doesn't seam like a good idea to leave it like it is for the sake of something so trivial.

It's your car Paul, I know i couldn't stand it if it was mine. I'd understand if it was an engine out job
Old 08-29-2008, 10:36 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Oh lordy no! It fires up just like normal but with foot to floor. It comes to life on maybe 4cyl., then quickly 5 then quickly 6. No strain anywhere.

The accumulator's something like $250 or more - not in the cards until she's away for the winter's nap.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest 8-). I got so much else on me plate this is just crumbs!

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com

Quick Reply: wont start after sits for 1 hour