911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:54 PM
DonE
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 Road Trip

I did a 200 mile road trip today (Andersonville Civil War Prison Camp and POW Museum - highly recommended) through the back roads of central Georgia. One tank of fuel - 19.7 mpg. I could probably tweak a bit more out of it because I run 13.8AFR at cruise, 14.5AFR at idle and 11.8AFR at WOT.

Since it's an EFI conversion, I was considering building "dual fuel" maps - one premium and one regular unleaded to take advantage of lower gas prices just for cruising or around town driving. It might not be worth the hassle since the difference in price per year with the number of miles I put on it would only be about $125 and I would have to keep track of which tank had the premium.

Ironically, of the three cars I own (930, Acura TL and a Powerstroke pickup), the 930 is the cheapest vehicle to operate (fuel, insurance, maintenance) in over-all cost. The 05 pick up is nearly triple the cost of the 930.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Olli
Racer

Sounds good, 19.7 mpg is a good number. I think mine is more like 17-18 mpg (also EFI) but probably could get better with some more fine tuning since mine is also on the rich side. After the shattered piston rings event though I have not been in a hurry to lean my car out.

If you decide to do the dual fuel maps please keep us posted, that sounds like an interesting experiment. But as you said, the difference in the cost of 87 and 93 octane being about 20 cents isn't really all that much.
The South East is very affordable when it comes to auto insurance. My 930 is $35 a month. My 92 GMC conversion van is $20 month. I bet we would not see numbers like this in California and New Jersey for example.
Good to hear the 930 maintenance costs get low once the car is sorted, I'm still getting there (still the occasional exhaust leak etc.)
Old 05-27-2008, 11:03 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I bought my first 930 in 2000, I drove it back from Florida to NC. I can't remember the exact ##, but I want to say that I got somewhere around 21-22mpg - I was blown away by that at the time.
Granted, I was driving exceptionally slow so as NOT to get pulled over by the cops on I-95, and I just maintained a good steady speed on the interstate, but that's not a bad number at all...

Anything close to 20mpg is GREAT I think...

Brian
Old 05-27-2008, 02:18 PM
prials
Intermediate

I seem to be averaging 14 mpg with combined driving. No doubt it would be a bit higher if I was to measure it in strictly highway miles.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:10 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

with these cars, its measured in smiles per gallon.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 AM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 171 Posts

Interesting I was also suprised on how well the 930 did as far as MPG. even with 23+ years old technology.

Gas $ is going to slowly be a factor in our spending , so I'm happy it does do well.

Don- I know what you mean about the truck- my F150 is the same. 10-12 until you tow something. Our trip to the 24Rolex we got 7.2mph average at 70mph. I guess it could be worse. I put 167 gallons in my boat this weekend. It can burn close to 2 gallons per minute at full throddle.

I guess we have to pay to play.- Cheers, Mike
Old 05-28-2008, 01:09 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah, the mileage thing is interesting on these old cars.. I think my 930 used to be somwhere around 19mpg also. Haven't checked recently cause it still ain't back on the road!!!!

My hauler is 94 crew cab dually w/454. Although I haven't checked, I'm scared to guess what the mileage may be.. though I did Hershey swap this year. It was 256 miles round trip outta DC. It was $115 to fill-up the empty tank (that was April prices) and I had a 1/4left upon return.

Funny, I was scratching my head the other day, thinking about a couple of my toys that need to be either restored, or sold.. maybe. I looked at my Alfa GTV and the Lotus Europa and thought hey.. maybe bring these two back on line, with the price of gas at least I could get some mileage and still have a fun car to drive!

P-
Old 05-28-2008, 03:43 PM
notthd
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by onboost
Funny, I was scratching my head the other day, thinking about a couple of my toys that need to be either restored, or sold.. maybe. I looked at my Alfa GTV and the Lotus Europa and thought hey.. maybe bring these two back on line, with the price of gas at least I could get some mileage and still have a fun car to drive!

P-
Funny I did the same thing. I've got a 968 I do not drive much but thought I might make it a Daily and then the light came on - I should resurect my 74 fiat spider.... took a good look at it and thought hummm $3K to get back on the road would be = 10mpg savings would be about $35 per tank, I would need to fill up somewhere around 85 times.- So in 2 years it's even, but of course who knows what gas will be then. I may be riding a moped to work...LOL Mike
Old 05-28-2008, 04:12 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Yous guys are funny... tho, er... me TR3 does manage the best MPG out of all me junk. Time for a new battery I guess, pop starts get old in me flat lot here @ the orifice 8-).

Get that GTV / Europa / Spider back out there - longer they sit the more $$$ they'll gobble up to get going of course!

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com
Old 05-30-2008, 10:24 PM
turbobrat930
Racer

Hmm, Don, I see how I rate... only 20 or so miles from my house, and not even a short stop for a beer... Ok, I got the hint !!!!!! Next time I come to your house...I will bring the beer!!!! HAHAHA

Quick Reply: 930 Road Trip