911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Zork Tube used w/ Supertrap??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 05:34 PM
ferraripete
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zork Tube used w/ Supertrap??

has anyone used a supertrap end cap to soften the sound of your zork tube?

my exhaust is tooooooo loud...would a supertrap serve me well when on the street and not on the track?

pcb
Old 05-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would like to book in on your request also. Just had my original wastegate replaced with the Tial, and the muffler wouldn't fit as it did with the original wastegate. Consequently there's a short sort of home made zork tube in there but I don't like the sound it makes. Is there a product out there with a shorter muffler or perhaps a downturn? Or do you just weld up another tube for the original muffler with a different angle on it?
Old 05-23-2008, 10:29 AM
pkrasusky
Racer

Chuck, could you describe the sound of the open WG that you don't like? I'm toying w/ selling my WG muffler and wondering what to expect next week when I hopefully do my full install.

Thanks.

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com
Old 05-23-2008, 12:06 PM
RarlyL8
Racer

Default Adjustable Center Outlet Muffler

A supertrap would have limited results but would help. This is what I use:
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2008, 12:29 PM
skillman
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

RarlyL8, I want one of those. Do you make them and have pics installed?

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:34 PM
strudel
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Supertrapps get to be pretty restrictive to get a real decrease in sound. I noticed a top end power loss on my stock 2.4 (160 h.p.) with only a slight noise reduction.

I started making slip in baffles for my sport mufflers. I wrap the outside with s/s wool. Depending on the length and how tight you wrap the s/s wool has an effect on the sound. I did notice a top end power loss, but not as much as the Supertrapps. I also made one for the DP muffler (an empty can) on my turbo. The muffler tip is 3.5 dia. and the baffle is 1.750 dia. Takes the hard edge off at idle and lower rpm range.

I don't make these to sell, but thought I'd show a couple of alternatives.
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2008, 04:55 PM
RarlyL8
Racer

Skillman, there is no contact information listed for you. Please e-mail me at Brian@RarlyL8.com

Any baffling at all will help the Zork but you have a very short length of straight pipe to work with. You also lose flow, as stated above, which really negates the reason the Zork is used in the first place.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Paul: Brian (Rarelyl8) built my SSI exhaust system and Y pipe setup...and he tells me that the original muffler should fit on there...without it, it sounds like a raspy sound...almost like some of the ricer's exhaust sounds....definitely not something that I would consider as suitable for a Porsche.

There's a short zork tube on there that comes right off the Tial wastegate...I don't mind the burble at deceleration but the raspy sound is unacceptable.

Paul if you want to sell your setup, I'd be interested...PM me and give me your phone number and I can even take the phone out to the garage and fire up the car and let you listen to the sound.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:24 AM
ferraripete
Racer

i actually agree...the rasp at idle or just off idle is gross! yuk. it sounds schitty. now that said...3k and above, it is an entirely different animal!

the idea of the super trap is simply to fend off the schitty sound down low. chuck, i agree...not acceptable.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:20 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

i have a gutted ghl in mine every one who knows nothing about turbo porsches says it sounds like a tractor. the one ond only time i have been pulled over by a cop though was so he could tell me how cool the car sounded lol.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 AM
MikeD94
Advanced

Regarding Supertrapp (imo, Stupidtrapp), please do not use it. It looks ugly, don't look right, not really effective, it's really messy (exhaust radially instead of straight out) on rear bumper/valence, I repeat, looks plain ugly! Well, those are my opinions.

RarlyL8 setup is really nice (for those who want a zork but with a muffler)!
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

I have solved the issue of the snarl in the wastegate....the indy forgot to put in the Tial spacer...so the wastegate was staying cracked at about .2bar....hence with the open wastegate, I was getting a constant exhaust of the boost and that was making lthe noise. There should be no sound from the wastegate at idle. I'll probably look for a downturned zork just to finish off the look.

Brian...(rarelyL8)...you have zorks don't you? Do you have them in stainless?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:24 AM
RarlyL8
Racer

Yep, I have Zorks in 321 stainless. I think what you are after is a Waste Gate Dump Pipe. I have those as well; will send you an e-mail.

Quick Reply: Zork Tube used w/ Supertrap??