911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

under-dash wire question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 03:32 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default under-dash wire question

I have a bizarre short in my car I was hoping yous here might be able to help me with.

If I open the door it pops the fuse for the interior light, sends a surge through the head unit (which must have rec'd it's final surge as it stopped working last week, have power but no sound), and the clock stops until I restart the car. Fog lights also don't work, nor does "flash to pass" on stalk - doubting the last 2 are related but figured I'd mention. I've been keeping that fuse out as such.

PO "snip'd" an aftermarket CD changer out, I found those wires last night - was a red, black, and yellow t'd off of the output lines to the OE stereo harness - he snip'd them when he could have just unplug'd them - genius.

My question is... I also found a snipped wire that comes out of the black taped harness - it's brown with a white stripe under the black tape. It's easily recognizable for you gurus here, it "Y's" alone out of a thicker black harness that runs to the round 5pin plug that plugs into the firewall just beneath the glovebox. Hopefully that triggers some thoughts?

Anyway, I'm no electronics whiz (not any whiz really) - any insight here greatly appreciated. TIA.

-Paul
www.krasusky.photos.us.com

Last edited by pkrasusky; 05-09-2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've got multiple mysterious weird crap going on there. I would have to take some time gazing at the circuit diagrams (a real eye-chart exercise for me) to see if any of the affected areas are on the same circuit, to try to narrow it down.

When these unexplained multiple bogies crop up, it's almost always the result of poor grounding somewhere. Electricity likes to take the path of least resistance and won't go to where it's supposed to if the ground is not adequate. Check the ground cleanliness and connection on the battery (duh) and under the car where the ground strap runs from the transmission to the body. Take 'em off, clean 'em, torque 'em back on. It may or may not resolve the issue. There may be other ground points to consider as well; would need to research were they're located or hear from others on the forum.

Frustrating, I know. I'm still trying to find the ghost that's causing continuous current draw off my battery - to the tune of 125mA - and draining the battery within a week (I know, that's why God made on-board battery chargers).
Old 05-09-2008, 05:51 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Thanks Mark.

Someone from Pelican sent me the diagrams - I might as well be reading Swahielie - d'oh. Will check the ground strap tonight tho for giggles, will be out there anyway scrapping my a/c heh heh...

Good luck w/ your draw ghost.

-Paul
Old 05-13-2008, 02:41 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I guess you could make sure the speaker wires are not cut in the door too or something. Possibly the power wires for the electric windows too. Check the pin switch wire too behind the switch.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:53 PM
vascott99
Instructor

just an idea...Are you using the correct fuse. I believe for that one it is a Yellow one...What does the fuse block look like.(cracked chipped..etc)..You should only have Black and red wires coming into that fuse slot...Check to see if something is a miss - ground strap can also be your culprit.

The issue you mentioned is all connected...The wire you mention that was part of the glove Box...Could be the wire that is used for the light...(Do you have light)..If so Hmmmm

If anything.. I would look at your fuse box verify that the wires are connected and that nothing else may have gotten loose and be touching

Also if the relay is the same one I am thinking of you could switch it with the horn relay (Verify that works first... Beep several times )

Use the horn relay and check to see if it happens again...Let us know the outcome.....

I have had many problems electrical and usually it is a relay or a wire that has gotten loose...
Old 05-13-2008, 03:58 PM
vascott99
Instructor

BTW Fog lights are on a whole different wiring scheme and fuse...check to see that you have I believe if I remember brown wires connecting to the fuse...I will verify when I get home...I had the same issue with my fog lights and it could be possible be your switch...

Do you have a rear fog light....
Old 05-13-2008, 04:00 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Thanks Scott / Nathan!

It was a yellow fuse. The PO has it sitting in the door pocket, and showed me the night I got it the interior lights work when he *bridged the fuse panel with a penny* (!!!). Uhh, OK.

AH! That wire's for the glove light likely? GOT IT! Makes sense. I'll have a looksee tonighski - thanks for these thoughts.

The speakers worked, so may not be a break in the door wire but I'll try and check out the door switch.

Appreciate all the suggestions. I *suck* at electrical stuff (most stuff really) but will give some of this a whirl and report back when / if I find anything.

Thanks again chaps!

-Paul
Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
pkrasusky
Racer

Heh, you replied again as I was replying Scott.

I do not have a rear fog. Will check the fuse wiring tho, thanks.

I'm guessing my flash-to-pass feature is unrelated and likely just a failure of the stalk of some sort. Anyone else experience this? Any remedy other than 'replace'? It is a feature I do miss in emergency situations - most recently flashing my 951 buddy in front of me as he sped away with Johnny Law fast approaching me from my six - heh heh.

-Paul
Old 05-13-2008, 04:05 PM
vascott99
Instructor

No problem...

Glad we could help...

Quick Reply: under-dash wire question