911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

930 flatnose headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 AM
johnnycoo1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 930 flatnose headlights

hi , anyone know if headlight units from a 944 fit the 930 flatnose ???

I heard a rumor they do but need to confirm it before i buy some ! also i think there are two types of 944 light unit ?

any help = super !

johnny
Old 04-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Akila
Intermediate

IIRC, the opening covers have a curve on the 944 the 930's do not. I know I researched this, & I don't remember the mechanisms being the same either. You will have to run with the original Slant mechanisms or the Mazda Rx7's that have individual motors.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I doubt it. I had an '89 slant. The headlights worked from a single motor that lived in front of the spare slightly to the drivers side. It work linkages that went to each side, covered with irreplaceable fiberglass covers, that worked the headlights.

If you click on the red 930S text in my signature it takes you to a large gallery of pics of most details. You can see a couple of shots of the trunk around page 4. If you click the thumbnail, then click the pic, it goes to a high-res version where you can see more detail.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Here are some pics and a diagram of the '89 Slant headlight mechanism...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Jastx; 08-03-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:26 AM
kens911
Burning Brakes

I can say for a fact that the light mechanisms and buckets are very much different. the size of the holes is also different. when I was changing mine over to a slant I had the all steel kit with the mazda lights. I bought an entire 944 set up of light linkage motor light buckets and lights to use to fab up a set identical to the factory set up. the only thing interchangeable from a 944 other thatnthe sealed beam headlights is the motor and relays. all of the linkage is similar but enough different that nothing is interchangable. it would be easier to start from scratch. I still have all the 944 stuff in the garage. The other thig I was unable to ontain was the gas tank surge tank. the regular 911's have one on top of the washer bottle, and the slant nose cars had one installed on the back of the dash on the pasenger side. I was unable to even find a part number for this piece. So I had to fab one out of stainless steel and mount it on top of the smugglers box lid. Also the washer bottle has to be cut down like the factory one and plastic welded(NOT easy took several trys). still havent fabbed up the fender liners either to keep mud out of the back of the headlights.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:30 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John: Every time I see pictures of your 89 Slant, I'm always amazed at how clean that car was. Where is it now?
Old 05-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Chuck, the last time I saw it surface someone in CA was trying to sell it on eBay as one of those non-auction, here's the price, make offer deals. He was asking $95,000!

It was super clean. As I have with a few other neat cars I have owned, I'll probably regret selling it someday. However, it's the selling that let's one move on to other neat experiences, so it's a catch 22. I wish I had a collection where I could have kept all the neat cars. Most have been pristine, low-mile examples including:
- 3 TVRs, the neatest of which was a 1967 Tuscan SE V8, one of 13
- a BRG '67 Austin Healey 3000 BJ8, just beautiful including chrome wire wheels
- a white/black '92 NSX - the BEST driving position
- the most loaded 73.5 CIS 911T ever. Tangerine/black with real FACTORY installed AC, 911 S instrumentation and front spoiler, sunroof, sport seats with houndstooth inserts...if I only knew then what I know now
- 2000 BMW M Roadster - Steel gray with black and gray interior, very rare combo in 2000
- 1998 white C4S with 12k miles -- sold to get the Slantnose.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:04 AM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good God man....$95,000??? That's what I would call "flipping a car"....he must have bought it because he saw how clean it was and had every intention of turning around and putting a high price on it. I check eBay every so often and never saw it there....obviously he must have had some pretty hefty reserve on it...and I know that at that price it wouldn't have sold unless it went to the Middle East somewhere.

I didn't see your "current daily driver" listed Eventually, the bug will bite again and you'll get into something else...maybe not a P car, but you'll end up with some sort of challenge. The buyer's market is so prime right now....
Old 05-02-2008, 10:34 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

It was one of those "make an offer" sales as opposed to an auction. $95k was the price, you could make an offer but the seller didn't have to accept.

Hey, this just came up on my My Ebay (my slantnose search still working)

Pewter Slantnose key chain

Quick Reply: 930 flatnose headlights