Notices
911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

What would cause a 930 4 speed to suddenly lock you out of finding reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Maxx1
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What would cause a 930 4 speed to suddenly lock you out of finding reverse?

It' always been easy to find reverse up until yesterday.
The shifter feels like it's hitting a stop. I double clutched several times and tried again, same thing. I put it in first and rolled forward then quickly attempted to go into reverse ..... no dice

I tried everything I can think of... turning the car off, starting it and shifting 1st through 4th, then trying reverse, but the same thing.

You would think if the gate adjustment was out, it would progressively be harder and harder to find reverse, but this transmission has always been easy up until now.
Hopefully this is a shifter issue and not something hung up inside the transmission.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 AM
911rudy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It sounds like the guy on this forum a few days ago who experienced the coupler in the rear tunnel came loose. We all gave him advice on different things because he said it had worked well the day before. Take the cover plate off and observe th3e coupler and see if it is loose. The only other area that I can think of is in the bottom of the shifter. If the bushings are so worn that they don't let the shifter swivel far enough to engage reverse. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:17 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911rudy
It sounds like the guy on this forum a few days ago who experienced the coupler in the rear tunnel came loose. We all gave him advice on different things because he said it had worked well the day before. Take the cover plate off and observe th3e coupler and see if it is loose. The only other area that I can think of is in the bottom of the shifter. If the bushings are so worn that they don't let the shifter swivel far enough to engage reverse. Good luck.
Thanks, it's a start. I'll put it up on stands and see what I can find.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:33 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless the detent is stuck and I can't see how that would occur it has to be in the coupler in the rear or the bushing in the coupler is loose enought you are not catching reverse.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
Unless the detent is stuck and I can't see how that would occur it has to be in the coupler in the rear or the bushing in the coupler is loose enought you are not catching reverse.
Agreed. My experience was just a loose set screw that locates in the detent in the shaft. Very simple fix.

Maxx1, no need to put your car up on stands. The access plate is between and behind the seats.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:14 PM
HADS930
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same problem about two months ago. Mine was the shift rod bushing right behind the shifter. Broke in half on a short drive, all forward gears worked, a bit sloppy bit stll went into gear. If you have never taken this apart, should take you about 2 hours to replace.
Old 04-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Maxx1
Instructor

Thumbs up

It turned out to be the coupler set screw came loose!

Thanks for the tips, I owe you guys a couple huge pizzas and a case of beer!
Old 04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxx1
It turned out to be the coupler set screw came loose!

Thanks for the tips, I owe you guys a couple huge pizzas and a case of beer!

No problemo. We'll be over this weekend! But I'll be really thirsty after the long drive in from Washington.

Quick Reply: What would cause a 930 4 speed to suddenly lock you out of finding reverse?