911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

omega (horseshoe) clutch spring

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008 | 05:42 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Default omega (horseshoe) clutch spring

I'm on a roll today....two posts already! This one's kinda hard to describe:

On that funny clutch-assist spring....it seems that if I adjust the cable tension just a little too much (but still keeping the requisit 1.0mm gap between the large and small actuating arms), that omega spring gets pulled too far forward past it's center point to where it won't naturally return back as it should. Not good, since if allowed to rest in the forward position it will keep tension on the TO bearing and probably won't allow the clutch to fully engage. The clutch pedal has about 1 inch of free play before any tension is felt, so in the process of trying to adjust out that 1" of slack....I came across this issue.

Anyway, as currently adjusted it feels great, but I keep thinking I should be able to get rid of the excess pedal play. And getting to the cable adjusment under the pedal cluster is a real b - - ch (looks like access is actually under the transmission tunnel, requiring removal of the center console). Of course, I haven't run the car yet so things may be fine as-is.

Could it be the spring is showing it's age? I hope not, especially to the tune of $160 for a new one!
Old 01-28-2008 | 06:30 PM
g935cab
Track Day

Mark did you install a new cable ? the old one might be stretched
Old 01-28-2008 | 06:40 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Nope. Last thing on my list, though.
Old 01-28-2008 | 11:04 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Do you have it installed right? Dumb question I know, but...

See attached pic.
Attached Images  
Old 01-29-2008 | 01:07 AM
Jitters
Racer

Originally Posted by A930Rocket

See attached pic.
Not really a dumb question. My mechanic put mine on bass akwards and it fell off on the freeway...

Jitters
Old 01-29-2008 | 12:02 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by A930Rocket

See attached pic.
99% sure that I do, but I'll crawl back under tonight to compare with the picture you sent. Thanks. It just seems weird that if you continue to tighten up the slack on the cable, it just keeps pulling the spring forward unti it eventually "springs" forward past the point of no return (hard to explain). I guess I just shouldn't adjust the cable so taught. Is the 1" throw at the clutch pedal normal, before cable tension is felt?
Old 01-29-2008 | 01:16 PM
Jitters
Racer

Originally Posted by Mark Houghton
99% sure that I do, but I'll crawl back under tonight to compare with the picture you sent. Thanks. It just seems weird that if you continue to tighten up the slack on the cable, it just keeps pulling the spring forward unti it eventually "springs" forward past the point of no return (hard to explain). I guess I just shouldn't adjust the cable so taught. Is the 1" throw at the clutch pedal normal, before cable tension is felt?
Hey Mark,

I had the same result after I had my new clutch kit installed. Prior to the clutch replacement, my clutch pedal was even with the brake pedal with no slack of anykind. However, after the installation, I had about 1" of travel in the pedal...

Unfortunately, after the Omega spring decided to go on Spring Break (Pun intended), it felt normal again...

Hope you find the answer to your situation as it will help me as well...

Good luck..

Jitters
Old 01-29-2008 | 01:20 PM
AngM018
Instructor

here is a checklist for you to check tonight:
1. prop up the clutch pedal with a block of wood.
2. use a bar/screwdriver to press against the clutch arm (the small lever pictured above attached to the return spring) in the direction of throw. I had an issue with it not resting against the throw out bearing when I reassembled it

3. I also dissasembled my spring, cleaning it, and put it back together. felt a whole lot better.
Old 01-29-2008 | 02:00 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Sounds like you need to adjust at the pedal end or move the small lever one spline on the tranny.
Old 01-29-2008 | 02:20 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

The clutch pedal is held even with the break pedal due to the return spring on the cluster beneath the floor board, but I have to depress it about 1" before cable/clutch tension is felt. I wish I could, but I just can't recall if I had that extra play before installing the new clutch. Hell, maybe it's not even an issue, but certainly is good fodder for discussion!
AngM018, the clutch arm bracket is definitely resting against the TO bearing...everything is cool inside there. The real issue, and my question simply stated: Why can't I take up the slack at the pedal by adjusting the cable where it mounts to the transmission? Instead, it pulls the horseshoe spring (which starts putting pressure on the TO bearing), and doesn't seem to make much difference in the pedal free play. Weak spring, maybe?
Old 01-29-2008 | 02:24 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I thought about that. Before replacing the clutch, the adjusting screw on the small arm was screwed in only a little bit; now, it's screwed in 3/4 of the way (almost exactly as in the picture that A930Rocket sent). I'll try re-positioning it tonight one spline if possible. Thanks Nathan.
Old 01-29-2008 | 03:54 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

When you installed the helper spring, did you "snap" it into place by leveraging the arm into position with a prybar?
Old 01-29-2008 | 04:04 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

Yep, snapped that baby in there. I know it's got good tension, 'cause in the process of investigating this issue I "unsnapped" it and smashed the @@!#$@ out of my thumb! Almost had to yell for the wife to come to my rescue as I was trapped beneath the car with my thumb firmly affixed between the spring and the transmission housing. Keep your fingers out of the way!
Old 01-29-2008 | 06:54 PM
AngM018
Instructor

And dont forget safety glasses! When i removed the omega spring it came flying back in my face. I have a nice scratch on my glasses right where my eye would of been.

Isnt the clutch pedal supposed to be closer to the floor than the brake pedal? Mine is about half way between the floor and the brake pedal. I thought this was odd so I started searching around for photo's and all of the ones I found were like mine. That could explain why you have so much travel. Then again, I could be wrong...
Old 01-29-2008 | 11:16 PM
Mark Houghton
Burning Brakes

OK kids, took everything off tonight and checked for proper spring placement (it was right, see the picture), then put it all back together and adjusted it. SHAZAM! Everything is now cool to my liking. Pedal free play is at a minimum, still have the obligatory 1.0mm gap at the actuating arm (Nathan, I wasn't able to rotate it one spline's worth to shorten the length of the adjusting screw), and the clutch "feels" just fine. I think we're good to go, but won't know until the snow melts and I can drive this thing again. I wish I could tell you all that I had a revelation, an "ah ha" moment, but sometimes I just have to lay my hands on things mechanical and they mysteriously correct themselves. So, if you ever have any problems with your 930's, just drop on by and we'll do some serious hand-laying (along with maybe a couple of beers) and all will be right.
Thanks for your input, and hopefully I won't have to reinstitute this thread again after the Spring thaw! Cheers.....

Last edited by Mark Houghton; 11-12-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Quick Reply: omega (horseshoe) clutch spring