911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Dizzy advance curve mod?????

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
jly535
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dizzy advance curve mod?????

I have read a couple of posts regarding this but can't really find exactly what I need to do to optimize my ignition curve. Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to do? I am drilling and tapping my WUR to make it adjustable then I will buy the B. Leask RPM actuator so I can optimize my CIS so any other important info on this subject is appreciated. Thanx, Jamie
Old 01-15-2008, 04:09 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

AFAIK the only way to optimize your ignition timing is to go electronic.

Use a full EMS or an Electromotive XDI.

http://www.directignition.com/products/xdi.html

You will need either unit tuned on a dyno by a pro.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:15 PM
JFairman
Racer

You can change the advance springs that the centrifical weights pull against as rpms rise and you can partially braze up the slots that control how far the weights can move or take a die grinder and hog out the length of the slots so they advance farther than origonal.. and you could drill hole(s) in the weights to lighten them too.

All these things will change your mechanical advance curve, but I have no idea what is optimum for the 930, and what fuel and boost your using.

You can also install a 12volt vacuum solenoid T'd to atmosphere in the vacuum advance hose, and have it hooked up to the throttle postion switch at the full throttle position so timing retards a little at full throttle to cut down on possible detonation.

This is a rock ape way of doing it though.. and you could ruin a perfectly good distributor and motor, but there's a chance you could come up with something that works if you have a lot of time, distributor parts, and a chassis dyno.

If you just want full advance sooner, try some lighter advance weight springs.

Quick Reply: Dizzy advance curve mod?????